~Eb Flutes~

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
theweirdscotsman

Post by theweirdscotsman »

Hey guys. I've been thinking about placing myself on a waiting list for a good Eb flute sometime after my Copley (D) arrives. I really like the bright sound they have. I was just wondering who you all would recommend for a good (most likely keyless)Eb. It may be that the same good makers (Olwell, hamilton, copley, etc.) who make nice D flutes also make excellent Ebs, but I was just wondering. Maybe Dave Copley could possibly just make a different sized midsection, and I could use the headjoint and foot that I would already have? Also, do you all know what flute Liam Kelly (Dervish) is playing in the Midsummer Night's video/cd? Thanks, William

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: theweirdscotsman on 2002-09-22 13:39 ]</font>
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

A buddy of mine has a Wilkes Dflute that has a Eb alternate body. I prefer the balance of the embochure in Eb I must say. But it's a lot easier to please in that pitch I am told by flutemaking friends.

I got a very decent and reasonably priced Eb keyless polymer flute from Dessie Serry a few years ago. He had it ready in a few weeks and it was a go-er. Usual tone problem on the very high notes that I have found with other makes in the same material, but certainly the best of the low price bracket bunch and a flute I am still happy to play.

All the best, Harry.
sturob

Post by sturob »

I've got a Bryan Byrne keyless blackwood E-flat that I wouldn't trade for anything. I got it in 2000, and I think it might be one of his first E-flats. Anyway, it's a nice Rudall-esque design. Flawless craftsmanship and a joy to play.

Stuart
Stuart Hall
pipes, flutes, narcotics, and benzodiazepines
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

Hi William, i am nearly sure that Liam Kelly plays a Sam Murray flute, so it is highly possible that it is this flute he is playing on the recording.
You might like to consider an Eb polymer from Michael Cronnoly. I am.

David
Harry

Post by Harry »

Liam is'nt playing the Murray anymore, and I seem to recall that he swapped not long prior to the time of that video shoot. He is now using an Olwell or a Wilkes or something.

Regards, Harry.
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Until this discussion I had not given much thought to replacing the body sections of a "D" flute to make an E flat. As Harry reports, it has been done successfully by some makers, and the obvious advantage is that you can expect to end up with an E flat flute for less than half the cost of buying a whole new flute.

There is a compromise involved. A theoretically ideal E flat flute would have all its dimensions scaled down by 6% from the D flute. Among other changes, you would take about 1/4 inch from the top of the body section, and about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the head/barrel, to reduce the distance from the embouchure hole to the first tone hole by 1/2 inch. If you take the approach of replacing only the body section, then you have to take all of the 1/2 inch from the top of the body section, and will change the relative proportions of the straight and tapered parts of the flute.

The only way to find out if this and other compromises would degrade the performance to any discernable extent is to try it out in practice. I plan to give it a try some time later this year, when schedule permits.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dcopley on 2002-09-23 16:10 ]</font>