Tuning question for GLP Owners

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Tuning question for GLP Owners

Post by Ben Shaffer »

quick question for those of you with GLP's....
If you have a MDT instead of a slide where is the MDT for you to be spot on at A 440 for low A? For me its with the MDT completely in and also with the Flute rolled in tight to my lips. I ask that because all of the other Flute players at a local session seem to have their slides out quite a bit to get A440. There are no other GLP's owners at the sessions I go to so am curious to here back from other GLP Owners on the message board.
Ben S
GalegoMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GalegoMan »

What's a GLP and MDT? :-?
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Sorry GMan the GLP mdt is the Gray Larson Preferred Model Flute by Terry McGee...the MDT is the type of slide
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I just checked against my tuner... Mine is in tune from the low D up to about the high G with the slide pulled out about 4 mm (a little more than 1/16 inch). I play with the headjoint rolled in so the top of the embouchure hole lines up with the finger holes. My GLP is a keyless version, BTW.

The 4mm seems to agree with the organ at church and our local squeezebox player as well.

You probably need to check your cork position and make sure there aren't any leaks. If there is still a problem, check with Terry - he is very open to communications!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Mine is in tune with the head pulled out about 3/16th of an inch, give or take.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Not directly comparable, but my GLP is in tune with me blowing a neutrally as I can with the metal tuning slide about a 1/4 inch pulled out. I spent some time fiddling with RTTA to get my cork position right for me and that was very beneficial too.

Chris
workbased 2000

Post by workbased 2000 »

What's RTTA??
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Ben - it could just be the way you blow the flute. Jordan and I have drastically different blowing styles - he loaned me a flute that I couldn't get in tune even with a slide pulled out all the way (Jordan could play it in tune with the slide pushed all the way in...or was it the other way around?). Regardless of which of us was flat or sharp, same flute but slide in totally different positions for each of us.

Eric
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

workbased 2000 wrote:What's RTTA??
A designed in OZ made in NZ product. Read here:
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/RTTA.htm

Cheers
Graeme
bruceb

Post by bruceb »

My GLP MDT with the rounded rectangle is in tune pulled out about 3 or 4 mm.
bruce