Who ended up with that left handed Murray that was on Ebay?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Just wondering.....
U2
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by U2 »

Nobody got it. The seller was frustrated because the reserve price was never met. The seller said they were going to attempt reaching a more educated potential. I thought people were simply trying to get a deal. We've all heard tales of little old ladies selling off sports cars for next to nothing...
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

I don't see why somebody selling an item with a limited market would not simply start with a minimum bid instead of making bidders play a game until the reserve price was reached. Left handed wooden flutes are custom items with a very limited market. He might have gotten his price the first time if it wasn't a mystery.

He'd have done better just posting a price on one of the web lists and waiting for an offer. Possiblly being in the market for a keyed left-handed flute myself, you just never think about finding one of those items used and for sale. You just get used to the idea of waiting for custom items. If his reserve was higher than the actual, I'd have not even considered it. The wait just isn't all that. If I get around to ordering a Hammilton 6-key, I'll just plan on massive depreciation (35-50% after the charge is posted). Left handed instruments just do not reflect the appropriat value unless they are more common like guitars.

The Murray was certainly a spectacle, none the less.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I love e-bay, but I also think sellers should list within a hundred (or so) of the price they're willing to let something go for, or else sell it without a reserve ~ selling at auction implies that you are WILLING to sell, right (?) ..... There's nothing like seeing the same Haynes flute listed over and over again with a starting bid of $1.00..............
Mary