Bill Ochs Tin Whistle classes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jim_B1
antispam: No

Post by Jim_B1 »

Hello,
I was wondering, has anyone taken any of Bill Ochs tin whistle classes? His classes in NYC start at the end of the month and I was wondering if it's worth it to go to the beginner class. I am just starting with the pennywhistle and the flute so I'm looking for ways to learn on my own but sometimes it's good to have someone that knows how something should sound to tell you where the problems are. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
-Jim
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I think he is the best teacher I have ever heard! He is very effective and is very respectful of the Tradition. There was a simular post earlier that you can do a search on as well.

- Craig
Wizzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wizzer »

Bill Ochs tin whistle classes.
Bill is a very good teacher. The fact that he supplies you with a CD with each tune broken down into its parts. Parking is readily available in the area after 6:00pm (parking meters end at 6:00) and their are ample number of spots near by.
If you are coming from upstate Jerry O'Sullivan is teaching at the Tara Circle in Yonkers. He is also an excellent whistle instructor.
Jim_B1
antispam: No

Post by Jim_B1 »

I signed up for the absolute beginner class that starts on Sept 24th at the Irish Arts Center. I work right off of Canal St. so it's only a 15 minute train ride and maybe a ten minute walk to the class. He also is having a tin whistle day this Sunday that I am going to try to get to. I just picked up a Feadog D whistle for the class.
Thanks for the help guys.
-Jim
Wizzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wizzer »

In the classes I have taken with Bill he prefers to use Clark D whistle.
The whistle day will be fun. If you stay for the advanced group do not be intimated by how fast it moves. These are typically taught by ear and the written music provided after wards. There are usually some very good musicians there and it can make you quite aware of your own talents or lack of them in my case.
He usually has a supply of Clarks with him and you can purchase one at the class. Not expensive about $10.00.
Bill claims he liked to have the class all play the same whistle. It has something to do with whistle players playing different whistles out of tune with each other. Bill claims their is danger of starting a tsunami. Go the class he will explain this.