Flutes similar to Seery Delrin (in wood)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tradlad123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Flutes similar to Seery Delrin (in wood)

Post by tradlad123 »

Recently acquired a Delrin Seery flute.
Absolutely love how it plays, so out of curiosity (and Flute Acquisition Disorder) looking for other makers offering similar flutes (as in bore profile, embouchure etc.) preferably in wood. If anyone has suggestions, would be great!

Thanks
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Flutes similar to Seery Delrin (in wood)

Post by kkrell »

Seery :D . I have one in Mopane.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I think I'm right in saying that Seery flutes are modelled after the RS "Prattens Perfected". So look out for that name among makers' offerings. I imagine there are plenty of makers offering Prattens. I offer detailed drawings of it. You could make your own! (But that takes a little longer....)

You can see one of mine (coincidentally available ex stock) here: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Avail-flutes.htm

(Heh heh, I almost made the tragic error of posting the image directly, not providing it as a link. It would have occupied a very large number of screens. I think I overdid the resolution a bit!)

Just as a bit of backstory, Robert Sidney Pratten was a professor of the flute in mid-19th century England. He was an early uptaker of Siccama's 10-key flute (the Diatonic), but then reverse-engineered it back to an 8 key (The Perfected) to cash in on all those flute players that didn't want to switch to Boehm (thus requiring a lot of relearning), but wanted the bigger sound Boehm's cylinder flute offered. So a lot of the credit for Pratten's Perfected has to go back to Siccama and Hudson. I reckon they were among the first to make flutes that actually played in tune right across the range, without having to employ sneaky tricks like harmonic shifting.

Pratten also played concertina, but hey, nobody's perfect....
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Desi Seery had told me that his flutes were based on a Hudson (but I suppose probably a Hudson Pratten).
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

If you'd be interested in a wooden Seery, this one's for sale:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3454951 ... 4082870460