Wooden Flute Makers List

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Wooden Flute Makers List

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:
kkrell wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:At long last ( :oops: ) I have managed to do a thorough check and update to the running version of The List. There are several new inclusions, some notable status changes (sites apparently defunct since the last update and not traceably replaced include: Sam Murray, Eugene Lambe, Marcus Hernon), several updated links and a couple of additions to the dealers section. My thanks to folk who have made suggestions. As ever, please do contact me by pm or e-mail if you find any faults/duff links or have additions to propose.
What's wrong with Marcus Hernon's site? http://www.marcushernon.com/ . Updates on there since the Joe Heaney festival in May 2013.
Not working for me where I am at present (Spain). I checked all the links by clicking on them and that one wouldn't work, nor did a websearch bring it up as current, only marked "cached" and won't load..... Will recheck when home next week.
Works for me OK.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:Works for me OK.
Mmmm. OK. Bears further investigation, but apparently not from here! I will re-check from home next week...... Very Odd. But one can only go with what presents........ I have restored the link on the strength of your comments, though I still can't access it myself. Thanks, guys.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jemtheflute wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Works for me OK.
Mmmm. OK. Bears further investigation, but apparently not from here! I will re-check from home next week...... Very Odd. But one can only go with what presents........ I have restored the link on the strength of your comments, though I still can't access it myself. Thanks, guys.
I was able to access pages on the Marcus Hernon site.
BTW, if I'm not sure if there is an access problem from where I am, I use
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
which helps me to see if I have an ISP, DNS, or routing problem.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

OK. Marcus Hernon "issue" dealt with - glad you guys have got my back! One or two other bits 'n bobs also tidied up. I think it's as good as it gets for now......... Now to find a friendly Mod to address the increasingly awkward OP problem. :)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

And here's a nice addition - Sébastien Villoing - website has more in French than it does in English.

You can see a Villoing flute being played with some aplomb in this Facebook video clip of delightful French fluter Anna Besson - she's a top-notch young professional classical player on both modern Böhm flute and baroque traverso as well as no slouch at trad Celtic stuff on an 8-keyer - check her out on SoundCloud too..... some really gorgeous (non-trad) stuff there.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

The OP - ie The List - has been modified somewhat. Jem is now keeping an online list which he is periodically updating.

Here it is.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: Wooden Flute Makers List - Thierry Denni

Post by stiofan »

Just ran across this flute maker on thesession.org, and doesn't seem to be listed here yet: http://www.tdenni-flutes.com/fr/
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Just noticed that Tony Millyard isn't on the list. Tony has a new website http://www.tonymillyard.com/
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks guys, but PLEASE note the notifications request/policy in the OP (in green) and peruse the linked running version of the List (very overdue an update, I confess) before sending (much appreciated) suggestions.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Lanselle

Post by Lanselle »

The right link to Stéphane Morvan's website is:
http://morvanflutes.wix.com/stephane-morvan
Amazing flutes! :o
breathejustice

I found another maker of baroque flutes

Post by breathejustice »

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

See OP and my most recent post about notifying possible inclusions and updates. :poke:
Can't people read?!?! Grrr. Sorry to be curmudgeonly - I appreciate the info, but not randomly posted thus.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
john

Post by john »

Has anyone heard of a maker called Ronald Weekes who I believe was based in Plymouth, UK. I heard a flute he made and it was powerful. I couldn't find anything on him so think that perhaps he was not well-known and may have ceased flute-making.
john

Post by john »

sorry, i think it was richard weekes, who was operating in the mid 1800s - silly me
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

john wrote:sorry, i think it was richard weekes, who was operating in the mid 1800s - silly me
If so, I'm betting he's ceased flute-making alright :P .