Inexpensive (<$300) beginner flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dana DiAnda
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Inexpensive (<$300) beginner flute

Post by Dana DiAnda »

Hello,
I'm looking for advice on buying my first flute (keyless, D). I'm looking to spend less than $300. I've been playing a home made pvc flute for a few months, and have been having a great time with it. I'm looking forward to playing something better though.

At this point I'm leaning toward a Tony Dixon (the 3 piece, conical bore one).
I've seen Sweetheart flutes in my price range too, but from what I've read here they can be a bit inconsistent, and buying one without trying it could be risky. Is there anything else that I should consider?

Thank you.
rforbes

Post by rforbes »

Dana,

Have you tried Doug Tipple's flutes? Although I don't own one myself, a friend of mine is quite pleased with his, and there have been many positive comments here on C+ F. Doug is a long-time C+F member as well. If I were to get one, I think I'd go for the optional lip plate and Tipple/Fajardo wedge, as embouchure chimney depth and taper compensation are quite important IMHO.

<edit> You might also try chatting with C+F member "Doc" Jones (website at http://irishflutestore.com ). In any case I would highly recommend getting flutes "on approval", and don't buy until you find one you like. If you can, compare two or three from different makers side-by-side and pick the one that seems best. Many stores and makers offer a trial period. Life would be simpler if flutes could be ranked on some absolute scale, but the reality is what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. You may well change again in a few years time, but that's all part of the fun (or frustration, depending on your viewpoint)...

Rob
Last edited by rforbes on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

rforbes wrote:Dana,

Have you tried Doug Tipple's flutes? Although I don't own one myself, a friend of mine is quite pleased with his, and there have been many positive comments here on C+ F. Doug is a long-time C+F member as well. If I were to get one, I think I'd go for the optional lip plate and Tipple/Fajardo wedge, as embouchure chimney depth and taper compensation are quite important IMHO.

Rob
Yep, I started out on one of Doug's PVC wonders. I've still got it, and keep it out to play. Doug's flutes are definitely worth the price.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Cork

Re: Inexpensive (<$300) beginner flute

Post by Cork »

Dana DiAnda wrote:...I've seen Sweetheart flutes in my price range too, but from what I've read here they can be a bit inconsistent, and buying one without trying it could be risky...
To be honest, I have a small pile of Sweetheart flutes, and I have yet to find one anything less than playable. Moreover, the rumors you may have heard about inconsistency with Sweetheart flutes likely originated with those who may not know any better. Not to be personal, here, but the only risk to the purchase of a Sweetheart flute lies in the abilities of its player. That is, if you can play, the Sweetheart will not disappoint.

I have known both Ralph Sweet and his son Walt for many years, and what they make is good.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I tried out a Sweetheart flute last week. I said out loud "Wow!" I thought it was good. It was light, the sound came out easily, it looked nice.

The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't seem to have the same richness in the tone that my folk flute had. But I only tooted it for a minute.

[edit] I'll add that it was one of the woods. Not the resonance model.
Last edited by sbfluter on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've played dozens and dozens of Sweet flutes. They are actually pretty consistent. At a convention of the National Flute Society I visited Sweet's booth where I was able to test around 20 of his flutes at one time.
In my experience, and in my opinion, his plain maple flutes play better than his rosewood flutes.
I played a delrin flute by a well-known maker a couple weeks ago, and it was, in my opinion, not as good as most of the maple Sweet flutes I've played over the last ten years or so.
I've played Sweet flutes since the late 1970's and the good news is that they seem to be constantly improving.
A good aspect of Sweet flutes for Irish music is their strong bottom D.
Their weakness has always been a tendency for the E in the low register to be weak, and a tad sharp. If he fully addressed this issue his flutes would be great (as opposed to good) Irish flutes in my opinion.
Casey Burns is making a very affordable, good-playing flute.
daiv

Post by daiv »

i have never played a sweet flute, but i have also heard only good things about them.

why $300? if you pushed it up a bit, you could get more options... you could get an m&e, seery, a forbes (he posted above), or a Jon C. i have never played any of these flutes, but they have all been recommended highly.

i have not played a delrin flute made by dave copley, either, but i have played copley flutes and i do own a copley headjoint for my silver flute (profile pic). i pretty much love my copley headjoint to death, and it is by far the best headjoint i have ever played for a silver flute, even though the one i have is the first he ever made.

here are some links:

m&e: http://irishflutestore.com/newsite/prod ... 1=55&c2=68
seery: http://irishflutestore.com/newsite/prod ... 1=55&c2=73
forbes: http://www.forbesflutes.com/
jon c (pm me if you want his email)
copley: http://irishflutestore.com/newsite/prod ... 1=55&c2=65

any of the flutes i listed are not beginners flutes at all, but the price is right if you go with delrin. i would say the forbes and the copley are the lowest price, and at no sacrifce in quality. seery and m&e are very popular in irish music circles, and jon c. is our little secret here at the chiffboard.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I agree with these suggestions.

If you REALLY have to stay under $300, then I'd go with the Tipple, (which is actually under $100!).

If you can squeak just a bit higher than $300, then the Casey Burns folk flute will make you a very happy player!

While I haven't played 'em all, I believe those two are the best buy for the low-end buck. I have played some Sweets, though, and liked them. I have a blackwood Resonance, which is very good, but more expensive. Good luck!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cork

Post by Cork »

crookedtune wrote:...If you REALLY have to stay under $300, then I'd go with the Tipple, (which is actually under $100!)...
Granted, it's made of a near white PVC tube, but IMO it gets the best bang for the buck award, for it plays impressively well.
Dana DiAnda

Post by Dana DiAnda »

Thanks for all of the great responses!
As far as my budget goes, I'm already pushing things. What prompted me to make this move was that the Google ads on my classical guitar site finally paid out $100 (after a couple of years... guess I won't be quitting my day job soon). I'm already tripling that amount with money that I shouldn't be spending.
I'm sure the Tipple is a great flute for the price, but for aesthetic reasons, I'd really like to get away from PVC.
I've been offered a Fred Rose rosewood flute for 250... as far as I can tell, it sounds like just the thing for me.

Thanks again!!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Save up a bit for a Seery. And you can try to get a used one.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

That Rose should serve you very well, and the price is good.

Eric
Dana DiAnda

Post by Dana DiAnda »

I just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice. I've had my Fred Rose flute for a few days now, and I'm loving it. This forum has been a great resource for me all around; lots of great info. In fact, I've found the online Irish/Celtic music community to be very generous and helpful. There are so many great sites for tunes and information out there!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

pancelticpiper wrote:I've played dozens and dozens of Sweet flutes. They are actually pretty consistent. At a convention of the National Flute Society I visited Sweet's booth where I was able to test around 20 of his flutes at one time.
In my experience, and in my opinion, his plain maple flutes play better than his rosewood flutes.
I played a delrin flute by a well-known maker a couple weeks ago, and it was, in my opinion, not as good as most of the maple Sweet flutes I've played over the last ten years or so.
I've played Sweet flutes since the late 1970's and the good news is that they seem to be constantly improving.
A good aspect of Sweet flutes for Irish music is their strong bottom D.
Their weakness has always been a tendency for the E in the low register to be weak, and a tad sharp. If he fully addressed this issue his flutes would be great (as opposed to good) Irish flutes in my opinion.
Casey Burns is making a very affordable, good-playing flute.
Second this. Also the cherry flutes are good too, along with
maple.
daiv

Post by daiv »

Dana DiAnda wrote:I just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice. I've had my Fred Rose flute for a few days now, and I'm loving it. This forum has been a great resource for me all around; lots of great info. In fact, I've found the online Irish/Celtic music community to be very generous and helpful. There are so many great sites for tunes and information out there!
i'm glad you got the help you were looking for! please let us know when you get your flute and keep us updated on how it's going. i think it's always exciting when someone takes the plunge!