Firth, Hall & Pond boxwood 8 key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Firth, Hall & Pond boxwood 8 key

Post by rh »

on the usual auction site.

not mine, and i'm not bidding, though it looks like a lovely flute.
there is no end to the walking
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Firth, Hall & Pond boxwood 8 key

Post by Jon C. »

rh wrote:on the usual auction site.

not mine, and i'm not bidding, though it looks like a lovely flute.
Nice! A little out of my price range.
But I think it's a re-stamp import from England. (they even imported back then!) Looks a lot like a Clementi to me. I had another F,H&P that was clearly a English flute.
I think the company did a lot of buisness with Clementi and later with Prowse.
Notice the inerlocking Crows foot on the C# C keys.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jon, did ya notice the seller's ivory 6 key?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Denny wrote:Jon, did ya notice the seller's ivory 6 key?
That is one of the fanciest Greman flutes (and most expensive) that I have ever seen! I wonder what the tuning is like?

As the late Andrew Kirby said "No respectable English flute maker would put the G# key on the second section...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Jon C. wrote:
Denny wrote:Jon, did ya notice the seller's ivory 6 key?
That is one of the fanciest Greman flutes (and most expensive) that I have ever seen! I wonder what the tuning is like?

As the late Andrew Kirby said "No respectable English flute maker would put the G# key on the second section...
That may be one way the seller determined it was a one-key that was retrofitted. The joint between the two midsections probably precluded putting the G# on the left-hand section. Also, there's no neck/barrel, so no slide.

There's no mention of a maker's stamp. I would think something like this would definitely have a stamp.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lowden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lowden »

I got this flute and ask Jon C to restore :) !!

Jon C did a great job on this beauty!!

With Olwell Prattan Keyless and Williams 5-Key :D .

Thank you Jon!!
demon_piper

flute

Post by demon_piper »

I had a look at the same flute when I still had a Hall and Son 8 key in Cocus. It does look considerably different, firstly the crow's foot arrangement. The shape of the keys, the form of the flute looks different as well, slightly wider, yet the wood thinner.

Amateur observations, I only play these things, I don't make them. But it looked a little fishy to me.

To the ivory flute, looks like a piece of junk. Someone can buy it for the novelty, my guess would be underwhelming.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Lowden, what a beautiful flute! Congratulations. Jon C. certainly does fine work. He will get my business in the future. Best, Cyril.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Lowden wrote:I got this flute and ask Jon C to restore :) !!

[img] edited

With Olwell Prattan Keyless and Williams 5-Key :D .

Thank you Jon!!
Very pretty flute, Lowden, and yes, great job, Jon! What's this new voodoo you've got going Jon; now you don't even have to buy them, and they still come to you?!!! :wink:
~~~~
Barry
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

greenspiderweb wrote:
Lowden wrote:I got this flute and ask Jon C to restore :) !!

Very pretty flute, Lowden, and yes, great job, Jon! What's this new voodoo you've got going Jon; now you don't even have to buy them, and they still come to you?!!! :wink:
Yes, I have got a good thing going for me!
This flute looked like it had not been played much since it was born, no cracks, original pads, which I replaced with new purse pads, it was covered with a thick layer of dirt, but cleaned up nice! The flute is a strong player, a real find. Like I said originally, I think it is a English flute, possibly a re-branded Clementi import. It has the look. It is a lot like the Metzler Boxwood that I have.
Kind of makes you wonder? Both are good playing flutes, but the Metzler was maybe 20 years older, tuned more for the 420htz era. The F,H&P is in much better tuning.
Michael Flatley

Jon