Filling the Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I just received Fintan Vallely's book and saw an interesting comment. I've heard flute players (including Matt Molloy) use the term 'filling the flute.' Mr. Vallely however says that the term is a misnomer, that you aren't actually 'filling the flute.'
So, given that, what are your perspectives of what 'filling the flute' really means? Is how easily a flute 'fills' just a metaphor for how easy it is to blow? Are there any players that would argue that you really are 'filling' it?

I look forward to your responses.
Slainte!
Aaron
whamlyn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whamlyn »

When people talk about flutes being easy to "fill", what they are referring to is the amount of breath required to make it sound a note. Different flutes require different amounts/forces of breath to play, this being a function of bore diameter, flute length, and probably several other factors, your emboucher not the least among them. So, an easy to fill flute would require less breath/force to play than a "hard to fill" flute.

If anybody has anything to add or correct please jump in!

Take care,
Wes
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

IMHO, if you practice long notes for each of the notes in both registers, and can get good tone...you will know for sure that you are filling the flute just fine.

Then as you play with a little more speed and/or ornamentation, how well you can hit each of the notes will get you up to speed on filling the flute.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think "filling the flute" refers not just to making a sound, but to how well you make a projective, loud, robust sound.

An "easy to fill" flute will accept a wider range of embouchures while remaining projective and vibrant. A flute that's "harder to fill" has tighter requirements on embouchure and breath pressure to get that robust sound.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Now would all of this be different from an "easy to Phil" flute which would make it easier to play songs by Phil Collins and Genesis?

Cheers,
Aaron

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AaronMalcomb on 2002-07-23 14:13 ]</font>
whamlyn

Post by whamlyn »

It's my understanding that an "easy to Phil" flute has a much larger head than a typical flute... much like those found on a "typical" rock star.

Wes
BillG

Post by BillG »

I have been pondering the same thought after reading the same Timber book. Can it be that an embouchure can be developed for any flute - regardless of quality (Pakistan omitted) - to be able to fill it? There always is the embouchure discussion as being of prime importance so it would appear any flute can be made to be filled. True?

BillG
SouthCentral Long island, NY, USA