Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

Kickass stuff there, Gordon. ::devil horns::
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Ok, here's a new one.

Wise Maid, 06/14/2007

It took me a while to get this recorded... It's amazing how everything goes to crap once the "tape" starts rolling.
William Bajzek
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

OK, I'll play, too. Here's my current go at Calliope House which I just recently learned. Listening to everyone else I'm sure I'll come in bottom of the barrel, but you all sure make me want to practice more. As I mentioned in another thread...the room my computer is in has absolutely no reverb (it's lined with books), so it's not ideal for recording.

http://www.box.net/shared/hecyrrevqc

Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
rh

Post by rh »

Eric, i'm getting a login screen instead of your clip when i click your link.
there is no end to the walking
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

See if the above link works. I'm new to the Box.net site, and I think I just didn't post it correctly. The only problem I can see with the site is that when I tested it, it opened fine for me so it's hard to know if you've done something wrong because I'm sure it recognized my computer.

Eric
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Eric,
your link goes to your public box.net page.
One cannot simply play the tune from that place, but has to download it first.
For direct sharing here it may be better if you go to the folder on box.net where you stored your mp3 file, then from its icon select "get public link", and copy and paste the link into a url tag here on the forum.

I like Dave Richardson's "Calliope House". I just starting to learn it in its original key of E, which is a great exercise for getting to know the G# key. Playing in E gives it an extra brightness. It may be a fiddle tune (?) but it goes well on the flute.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I'm very bad at computers. I try to use the preview option before submitting to check that links work more or less all right. It amazes me when they work properly.

The Parting of Friends is one of the sweetest airs for my taste. It was one of the first tunes I learnt. I was amazed by Molloy's playing when I didn't know who he was. Then I started playing the whistle. I simply dropped by a music store, saw that black cover with that bearded guy playing a wooden flute and thought, "it might be interesting". I couldn't imagine that 8 years later I'd be 'chiffing' here.

Does anyone know some info about the tune? I've always ignored what kind of 'parting' the name refers to (emigration, death...)

Thanks
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
smoro

Post by smoro »

cocusflute

The Tunes

Post by cocusflute »

Jayhawk-- It's great to have learned a difficult jig. You've got it all in place and that must have taken some time. Now you have to take some more time and play more slowly. Try to feel the beat. Sit back and be comfortable with the tune. Don't force the tempo. Get into your comfort zone and the tune will be much more lovely.

Smoro- the same thing. The jig (The Housekeeper , or literally The Girl From the Big House) is really lovely playing. You're nice and easy with the tune. It's got great lift and the first part, which is tricky, is very clean. Tie the Bonnet I thought sounded a bit rushed. The beat was there but it moved too fast, IMHO, to be really lovely. And you're a lovely player so you can really make a tune sing and not just an exercise in fast playing. Slow down on the reels, at least for these solo clips.

I am not a flute teacher by trade. These are just some things I've noticed and my own opinion. I don't mean to pose as an expert when my own playing needs so much more focus.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
smoro

Post by smoro »

Thanks for the comments, Cocusflute, and sorry for the reel. I was taking care of my 6 months old babygirl and she started to cry :sniffle: , so I had to record the reel at that speed! :) , I´ll promise to record a better tune soon.
Regards,
S.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

smoro wrote: I was taking care of my 6 months old babygirl and she started to cry :sniffle: , so I had to record the reel at that speed! :)
:lol: Been there, done that! Trying to get in one more tune really quick while the baby is waking up. You have my envy (I miss having a baby around) and my sympathy (I'm glad to be getting almost enough sleep).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

OK - on the third try I think the link above is the one that takes you directly to the player so you don't have to download.

CF - I agree about needing to slow it down - that was my thought after I listened to it. However, it was late, and I wanted to join in regardless of whether or not I was totally happy with the clip. Besides, the next attempt at a slower tempo was interrupted by my wife sticking her head in the room and telling me how late it was and shouldn't I wrap up the playing for the night!

Eric
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

monkey587 wrote:Ok, here's a new one.

Wise Maid, 06/14/2007

It took me a while to get this recorded... It's amazing how everything goes to crap once the "tape" starts rolling.

nice job william. funny i have been reworking that tune, i never really like how i sounded, even though it is a fairly common tune and played often. i was inspired by joe cooley's rendition on the accordian, and now by yours!
easy on the ears.

again, it's great hear hear everybody, especially those that contributed!
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

rama wrote:
monkey587 wrote:Ok, here's a new one.

Wise Maid, 06/14/2007

nice job william. funny i have been reworking that tune, i never really like how i sounded, even though it is a fairly common tune and played often. i was inspired by joe cooley's rendition on the accordian, and now by yours!
easy on the ears.
Thanks... My version is somewhat inspired melodically by Roger Sherlock's from his album with Sean Maguire which is now known as "Sean Maguire - At His Best" (which I believe used to be called "Sean Maguire and Roger Sherlock at their best", poor Roger got slighted...), although my phrasing is a bit different.
William Bajzek
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

This thread is awesome! I have a lot of new Irish Flute music for my iPod. Maybe in a month I can add my flute version of Planxty Irwin (and maybe someday I'll learn something else ha ha!)

Do you guys all play in sessions?
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute