Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cocusflute

Posting clips

Post by cocusflute »

It's great that more of us are posting clips. It's a way to build real community.
There are trust issues involved - that we trust each other to be supportive, and to offer constructive criticism.
There is no better way to learn than to critique your own recording, painful though it may be.
The musician's ego is fragile. Offering a clip of your playing to your peers is a great way to confront your fear of failure.
Thanks to all for accepting my modest efforts.
Thanks to all who have posted for trusting the rest of us.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Cocus' clip

Post by Rob Sharer »

Sounds great! Let me go out on a limb here and guess that the lovely natural reverb on your clip is the sound of the flute reverberating off the flags of the kitchen floor. Well chosen, and well played.

I agree that we should all consider posting a clip here, to help us in knowing who's who, and what's what. Cocus' well-considered opinions should carry even more weight with anyone who has heard him do his thing; after all, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and being able to give advice is a different thing from being able to take your own advice.
IMO, Cocus' advice on playing is sound, and his playing shows that he knows what he's on about.

I'll do one myself, before too long. Trip to Ireland first (shucks). Speaking of which, see you in Kilshanny house for a tune, Cocus?

Rob
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Really enjoyable.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Nice clip and good points. By posting clips we break down the anonymity that holds back the growth of a community. I have added a couple clips (albeit old ones) to my signature.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Posting clips

Post by hans »

cocusflute wrote:The musician's ego is fragile. Offering a clip of your playing to your peers is a great way to confront your fear of failure.
YES take courage and have your EGO broken. After all THAT is the fear: to stand naked with no EGO to hide behind. :wink:

It is not so easy to stand in front of the mirror of your own sound recording, having to listen to yourself how others might hear you. But very rewarding!

But some musicians EGOs are very solid indeed. No problem for this guy (it is usually guys) to force his tunes onto a session, to take over and play his stuff for ten minutes solid, never mind who can follow. And not to listen at all.

Thanks coco for nudging and prodding!
rh

Post by rh »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Nice clip and good points. By posting clips we break down the anonymity that holds back the growth of a community. I have added a couple clips (albeit old ones) to my signature.
nice work. i like that straight-ahead barking flute style you have there, sounds really good.

i have to say this clip-posting stuff has made me want to practice more, everybody who i've heard here really plays well, and loves to play. it's always inspirational to hear recording artists play but it's a whole different thing to hear how accomplished my fellow posters are.
there is no end to the walking
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Thanks for the clips, I enjoyed listening to them all. I had a go for the sake of sharing, nothing related to advice either given or taken. Excuse the annoying background noise. I still haven't bought a external soundcard for my laptop.

The first one seems a highland to me but I'm not certain at all. Learnt from the playing of Harry Bradley as it is the reel (don't know the name). The third tune is known to me through Lunasa rendition. It's played with a mid-late XIX Cocus Martin Freres with 5 keys. It was given to me in poor, unplayable condition. With some work and the great help of forum member smoro who's dedication and craft made possible that this flute is singing again (in Eb. This flute used to be tuned in D but it's been impossible to make playable in its original tuning.)

Highland
Reel
Eb Air

*Edited for spelling
Last edited by Sylvester on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

talasiga [url=http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=50869&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45]in another topic[/url] wrote:.......BTW, last year some people saw me doing some live "jazz raag" stuff and invited me to play on their pop CD.

Even though this sort of music isn't my normal sphere of interest I agreed and I am on tracks 2, 5 and 6:-

http://cdbaby.com/cd/atmospheres

I basically just improvised something to their music and they recorded it.

Some of it I like and some not.

I like the flute on track 6 the best. Unfortunately the sample doesn't go long enough for you to hear me also playing my little G bansuri in flight.
A propos the spirit of this thread and for the intention of sharing I have now linked the excerpts into my signature.

As I said about this sample, I was just a studio muso for this recording. When I have the know how and can afford the equipment I will post something solo or totally under my direction.

My special interest is interpreting folk songs of various traditions in the elucidation of an appropriate raag. I will talk more of this when I can demonstrate with audio clips.

My best wishes to you all.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

This is a really good idea. I wonder why we haven't thought of it before. My phrasing is godawful. I'll work on it.
rh

Post by rh »

Ro3b wrote:This is a really good idea. I wonder why we haven't thought of it before. My phrasing is godawful. I'll work on it.
Rob, i wish my phrasing was so godawful :lol:

seriously, thanks for all the great advice you've put out on your website and on the boards here... i've benefitted from it and if i practiced more my playing might actually sound that way.
there is no end to the walking
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

The Mountain Top

I recorded this a few months ago, I'm not sure I'd play it the same way now.

Please let me know if the whole file plays; I tried to upload it from work and it didn't, so I am trying again from home.
Last edited by monkey587 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Bajzek
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Ro3b wrote:This is a really good idea. I wonder why we haven't thought of it before. My phrasing is godawful. I'll work on it.
thanks rob, sounds nice.
after hearing your clip, i switched my link over to 'mybox' too. seems easier than 'savefile' (where i had originally had my clip).
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I've got to say I'm really enjoying hearing you all play at last. Rh, you've got to change your sig; "awful" and "lousy" don't apply. William, your whole file came through just fine. Really nice stuff all around.

Box.net is a great tool for this kind of thing. Very easy to use, and they also have a cool little applet (the "widget") that lets you make your files available on your blog or other website. Pretty slick for a free service.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

it's great hearing everyone. to be honest, the whole experience has motivated me to play more. i tend to be quite the slacker as i rarely get out to play so i'm a little low on the 'mo. this has helped. thanks everyone. let's keep it going...
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

Wow, I'm very happy to see that a lot of people are shooting for the "nyah" rather than trying to slavishly imitate Matt Molloy or Kevin Crawford (nothing against them! Fine boyos with the flutes). I'm just tickled to hear everyone going for nice tempo. phrasing, and such. A good thing for all those who fear that true ITM is dying to hear. Good stuff! Thanks for posting, I enjoyed listening

I need to make a clip myself then eh? As soon as I get my computer at home working again and figure out how to post it on here. Eek, I haven't been spending as much time with my flute either now that I'm in a place where I can practice the pipes pretty much whenever I want. Of course Sylvester has already posted one of my favorite reels to play on the flute! Grrr...I like though...
Corin