Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sylvester
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sylvester »

Uhmm! Lovely tune and lovely playing as well. Bb sounds so special. Rama, may I ask who's the maker

Monkey, your clip reminds of a Northern style . I hope Markus A. ans Smoro also drop by and contribute. Different styles and good players indeed.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

I like everybody's playing. It's great we're all doing this.
Rob's cut is very sweet. Yes, I agree that www.box.net is much easier to use - and the listener doesn't have to download a file to listen to the clip.
I am inspired to post more. You learn a lot about your playing when you hear it coming back at you and imagine how other people might hear it.
I still get really tense when I hear myself - which is another reason to record yourself - because the more you do it the more you will relax. Insh'Allah.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

cocusflute wrote:I like everybody's playing. It's great we're all doing this.
Rob's cut is very sweet. Yes, I agree that www.box.net is much easier to use - and the listener doesn't have to download a file to listen to the clip.
I am inspired to post more. You learn a lot about your playing when you hear it coming back at you and imagine how other people might hear it.
I still get really tense when I hear myself - which is another reason to record yourself - because the more you do it the more you will relax. Insh'Allah.
Yes to eveything.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

Sylvester wrote:Monkey, your clip reminds of a Northern style .
I think that's what I was going for that evening, it's not quite how I play now, so I will try to record something on Thursday. It always evolves, I suppose. I am fairly pleased with the tone on that one, just not the phrasing.
William Bajzek
cocusflute

Thanks

Post by cocusflute »

Doing this recording has made me less satisfied with my own playing. It makes me slow down and pay attention to things I am/am not doing.
I am less likely to say "good enough" and more likely to work to get it to sound right. I don't play a tune once or twice through and then put it aside because I can't play it perfectly. I'll slow down and work on it some more, thinking that at some point I might want to share it with you all.
So thanks again to everybody, for sharing and for accepting and for being so generous. It's making me a better player.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Aaargh! Not easy getting a good recording. This is my best take after about a dozen tries and it is still not free of mistakes and doesn't sound like I want it to, but short of fiddling with the file and maybe mixing sections of different takes, it is not going to get better...

Interestingly, forcing myself to try to get a good(ish) recording forced me to slow down too, and also introduced the permanent dissatisfaction mentioned by others. Hmm, I'll have to do this more often. Usually I do a take, listen to it, try again one or two times, then move on. Forcing myself to stick with take after take until it get's better seems to be good practice.

(About 6 years on Boehm flute, had my Terry McGee GLP (first proper wooden flute) since last August approx.)
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

By the way, I'm posting looking for criticism, not as a justification of any advice I might try to give. If anyone can give me some concrete pointers on how to get that nice bubbly rhythm into it that Chris Norman gets, then I'll be very thankful!

Chris
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

cocusflute wrote:I like everybody's playing. It's great we're all doing this.
Yep, totally right. Maybe this thread should be made sticky?
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Gabriel wrote:... Maybe this thread should be made sticky?
I think there are too many sticky threads already.
They fill half the screen when opening the forum,
and we need to scroll further and further down to get to the actual threads.
Why not keep the thread alive by using it?
OTOH I started a thread flute clips.
It should be combined with this one.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Well, I have now joined the parade. These are two hornpipes I have been playing lately, once through each.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Sylvester wrote:Uhmm! Lovely tune and lovely playing as well. Bb sounds so special. Rama, may I ask who's the maker
sweet playing yerself sylvester! no doubt you have the touch. thanks for the tunes. hope you post more!
that's a grinter red lancewood Bflat i played. it has it's own learning curve (for me). it's a beast, and humbles me. makes me feel like a novice. so i thought it would be good practice to record on that. making progress though...

i had stopped playing the flute entirely for a couple years, did not listen to any itm. a big problem that developed since then is that i can't seem to keep old tunes straight in my head. i'm always playing different parts of tunes together, weaving in and out of them, no idea where i am going, it's crazy...
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Sylvester wrote:The first one seems a highland to me but I'm not certain at all. Learnt from the playing of Harry Bradley as it is the reel (don't know the name).
That reel is Tommy Coen's, aka the Cottage in the Grove.
William Bajzek
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

ChrisCracknell wrote:By the way, I'm posting looking for criticism, not as a justification of any advice I might try to give. If anyone can give me some concrete pointers on how to get that nice bubbly rhythm into it that Chris Norman gets, then I'll be very thankful!

Chris
Great tune, thanks for posting! One of my favourites from Chris Norman's Caledonian Flute. I have been working on this piece for the last years now, still not daring to play it in public. Nice to know another Chris Norman fan, and loving old Scottish music!

I am not sure about "bubbly rhythm" (I have to listen first to the Caledonian Flute again), but what I notice listening to you is that you could relax a bit more, and extend the ends of sections slightly, they seem to be cut short. Just hold the tone longer here and there.
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

Ok, here's my attempt! Forgive my crappy playing and recording skills!

http://www.box.net/shared/kxr0ir1v7n

All joking aside, constructive criticism is most welcome and earnestly encouraged. Plus, if anyone is kind enough to take pity on a tech-handicapped chiffer, can someone explain how to do the cool-text-dealie where you provide your link but the text of the link says something other than the URL? I'd like to name mine Maids of Mt. Kisco.

Thanks,
Gordon
withak

Post by withak »

You do

Code: Select all

[url=http://somewebsite.com/whateverfile.mp3]Name of link[/url]