Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
monkey587
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

I'm actually starting to hate my clip now, the rhythm morphs back and forth from straight to slightly swingy, and the tone is really fuzzy because I was blowing straight into the mic. Oh well... I'll work on the rhythm and next week I'll record something else.
William Bajzek
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Well, I'll give this a shot. I'm a pretty new flute player, (under a year). But I've been fortunate enough to find a good session that'll have me. One of the tunes we've been working on is "Boys of the Town".

Here's my go at it:
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=S4gz3p1G3S9
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Sylvester
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sylvester »

Well done. It's a lovely jig.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hi all. Still waiting for some comments on my clip. I know it's on the fast side. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Kudos to all who have posted. It takes a certain amount of 'guts' to put oneself in such a vulnerable position. I applaud you all and look forward to more postings.
Arbo
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

ImNotIrish wrote:I hope this works! Also a clip recorded a while ago.
Feedback appreciated. Be gentle...
Arbo

http://public.box.net/imnotirish73470
Sounds great to me...certainly a level I wouldn't mind playing at! Well done.
:)
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

I would be interested in knowing what kind of flute is being used for the recordings.

There is a website somewhere that lists both the tune and the instrument (as well as the player, of course) for their postings. It seems like something this forum would enjoy too.

...john
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Crooked,
Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the post by cadancer, I believe I was playing my selection on a Hawkes & Son flute. Pratten model circa 1880 (?). I will post some more clips soon. Thanks again.
Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

New file posted. Comments welcome. These tunes are played on an original R&R with an Olwell hj.
Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/pycqjs6q2n
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

cocusflute wrote: ......The main criticism I would offer is that people play much too fast. When you play too fast you lose that rock-solid sense of the beat.
Speed is irrelevant. No matter how long you've been playing. It just doesn't matter- especially when you're playing by yourself. Listen to Mary or Andrew MacNamara, or some of Martin Hayes' playing, or Catherine McEvoy. Beauty isn't in the speed. Speed often gets in the way of the music even with some of the best players, Like Skip Healey. Skip has got great chops but he can really murder a tune. He's sprinting rather than dancing.
You want the music to swing, to have plenty of lift. It shouldn't make you tense. You should play slowly enough so that you play every note perfectly and make every ornament clear and rhythmic. If you can't do that you're playing too fast. You don't need anybody else to tell you that. You should be able to hear it yourself.
Now I will go heed my own advice.
Yes and no.

Its not so much that soemone is playing too fast. Its more about, have you been so busy getting the notes that you have forgotten the little cracks of silence? One can have quite a fast fast rendition but if those little, well timed silences are there then all are hooked, the listener, the Muse and the player.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

cadancer wrote:I would be interested in knowing what kind of flute is being used for the recordings.

There is a website somewhere that lists both the tune and the instrument (as well as the player, of course) for their postings. It seems like something this forum would enjoy too.

...john

I would humbly suggest that perhaps people not indicate what flute they're playing. There are too many threads which go on ad nauseum about the sound of this flute or that one. It's refreshing finally to see a thread that's about actually playing the darn things.

SteveB
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

I think that we would find that all of the flutes that people play will sound good.

...john
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Here's another go at this...my house is too small and too open for it, though...the clip is only once through because my wife came in hollering for me to come grab the bags of groceries which led to a major flub and now dinner is calling me...

http://www.box.net/shared/u9lnesslmn

I think this is a better clip than my prior one, but I'm still not sure if it sounds like I'm rushing...so feel free to comment.

Eric
cocusflute

High praise

Post by cocusflute »

William (monkey) - lovely playing - great phrasing, good tone, great breath control. Lovely relaxed tempo, crisp ornaments and fine playing overall. How long have you been playing?
A perfect example of a tempo slow enough so that everything falls into place with enough lift to make it compelling.
I was inspired to post a reel. This is getting to be fun.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Here is a song air, from a song with its roots in Northumberland, England,
which was first printed in 1822 in “The Northumbrian Minstrelsy”.

Bonnie at Morn

Chorus:
Canny at nicht
Bonnie at morn,
Thou’s ower lang in thy bed,
Bonnie at morn.

The sheep are in the meadow,
The kye are in the corn,
Thou’s ower lang in thy bed,
Bonnie at morn.

The bird is in its nest,
And the troot is in the burn,
Thou hinders thy mammy,
At every turn.

We’re a’ laid idle,
Wi’ the keepin’ o’ the bairn,
The lad winna work,
And the lass winna learn.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

What cocusflute said, William; that's a nice take on the tune.

I've been trying to record something on the box, but I'm severely hampered by my general state of suckage.

I've added a clip from my late lamented band; that's me on guitar.