Matt Molloy and The Mason's Apron

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Hi there! This is a duplicate post of one I wrote on the whistle board. I was wondering if there are any flautists who can help me with some transcibing trouble I have with Matt Molloy's version of Mason's Apron on the Chieftains CD "An Irish Evening".

I can't figure out exactly even with slowing down software, deciphering what Mr. Molloy is doing with his flute in some parts. From what I hear, the first variation from the 2nd phrase (first bar, where the "rocking pedal" thingy is) of the tune seems to go b-g-D-g-E-g-D-g (capital letters denote the emphasized notes in the version).

It does sound similiar, but it doesn't seem to be what Mr Molloy is doing exactly. My transcibed version sounds more spaced out notewise. His playing seems to contain more notes - due to more tonguing separation probably? Do any of you who heard this rendition know what went missing in my transcription? Thanks!
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

It would probably help to see the music, which is a fiddler's version written, actually, in G.