Dixon polymer - mini-review

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

Yay, more packages in the mail. I <i>so</i> love getting packages in the mail. :smile:

And more from Tony Dixon, too! I managed to buy a secondhand Dixon whistle and a secondhand Dixon flute from two separate sellers, a week or so apart; it only dawned on me when I got the whistle that both were from the same maker in the same material.

So, what is this new thing? It's a keyless flute, in polymer -- but this is the milled-and-bored three-piece, not the low-whistle combo. And I'm impressed! I got a good price on it, to be sure, but this is an excellent beginner/utility flute.

The embouchure is relatively large and the fingerholes average to small and nicely spaced. It just fits in the hands right. There's not a whole lot of decoration -- gold-coloured paint at either end, and a Dixon logo, and that's it. It's this big black STICK. The cork tenons fit together smoothly, and the headjoint is solid enough that you can pull it out a bit -- there's no real tuning slide, but there's enough room for a bit of tuning there.

It's very easy to fill. I've been playing one of Ralph Sweet's rosewood flutes until now -- mine is apparently one of his better attempts, from what I've heard -- but the larger embouchure on the Dixon is enough to take a bit of readapting. Even then, it just begs you to make it sound; it's just the upper range in the second register I need to work on a bit. It sounds pleasant, too; it's not a McGee or an Olwell, but it's got quite a range of tonal variation including the heavy-attack rasp we all love.

So that's the "beginner" side. I called it a "beginner/utility" flute, though, and the "utility" side is this flute's big hidden feature. Point One: It's not wood. It feels like wood, it's balanced like wood, and it sounds like wood, but there's no oiling, no variation or cracking from humidity, no absorbing moisture. One thing I'm going to like about this flute is that I won't outgrow it. Sure, in a few years I'll get myself something nice from one of the big makers, but where if I was just playing the Sweet I'd sell it at that point, I can't imagine getting rid of this one for the places where I wouldn't want to <i>take</i> a $1000 flute. I plan on throwing it in my shoulder bag when I head out to the Montreal Celtic Festival this weekend to occupy me when I'm not catching a show -- and they're calling for rain! And I'm not concerned!

(One problem with polymer -- while you get a very smooth bore and the feel and sound benefits from it, you also get every bit of moisture that goes into the flute running out the end.)

I'd heartily recommend this flute to people looking to pick up the flute, and to established players looking for a reliable beater instrument. It's more expensive for a beginner than the low-D-combo, but this is the real McCoy -- turned and bored, conical-bore, with flute hole spacing and a well-cut embouchure. It's made the same way as he makes his wooden flutes, in fact.

Between this and last week's whistle, I'm awfully impressed at what's coming out of Dixon's shop, especially at his prices.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Rich,

Have you used an electronic tuner to check the tuning accuracy?

Loren
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Can't say I've heard of doing that with flutes much -- when my intonation is so spot-on that I can play so a tuner thinks I'm perfectly in-tune, I want my $1000 flute. :smile: After all, you can lip a note about a quarter-tone either way or so.

That said, it seems to play fine, but I test it with my ear, not a needle. (I don't even own a tuner, although I've got a pitch pipe.)
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Bad rich!

Seems that in editing, I managed to elide a reference to the new Dixon's origin. I bought it through <a href="http://www.home.earthlink.net/~migoya/">David Migoya</a>. David rocks. Excellent service, even though this went for around 1/5 or 1/10 of what the majority of what he sells goes for! (Also reportedly a good source of cases.)

There's some droolworthy flutes on that site, too, worth taking a look to see what you can't afford! I can't remember who it was here that had a full set of Copeland whistles, but your set isn't <a href="http://www.home.earthlink.net/~migoya/id31.htm">quite complete yet</a>...
<ul>-Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-08-09 10:06 ]</font>
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Well if you'd told us you got it from David, I wouldn't have even bothered to ask if it was in tune :smile:
For those of you who haven't dealt with Mr. Migoya, he's a fine fellow to do business with.

BTW, the reason I asked about the tuning is that the cheaper Dixon whistle/flute combos tend to be a inconsistent in regards to how in-tune they are with themselves. Still good for the money though.

Loren
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

I think part of the tuning problem of the cheaper Dixon whistle-flute combos is that they're cylindrical bore with cylindrical headjoint. Doesn't work. That's why your normal Irish-style flute has a conical bore, and why your normal cylindrical-bore (Boehm) flute has a parabolic headjoint.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Sorry Rich,

I can't agree with you here - The Cylindrical vs Cone bore argument doesn't apply in this instance since I'm comparing cylinders to cylinders, so to speak:

I have Overtons, Water and Thin Weasels, Sindts, etc. that are are in excellent tune with themselves, while my Dixon isn't. Others on the message board have posted similar experiences with the Dixon Low "Duo" whistles.

Now perhaps Tony Dixon is better at making Conical bore instruments than he is at crafting cylindrical whistles, I wouldn't know. And again, I'm not knocking the cheap Dixons, in fact I'd bet no one on the list has recommeded them more often to beginners than I have. I was just making an observation and was curious if you flute was well tuned - I'm glad to hear it is.

By the way, many of my cylindrical whistles are more in tune than my Conical Copelands. Ultimately it would appear that design, precision and quality control have more to do with how in-tune one's whistles will be than the shape of the bore. At least this has been my experience with the 60-70+ whistles I've played.

High end flutes are a different matter.....

Glad to hear your Dixon is a Winner:)

Loren
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Rich,
Glad to see that Dixon got a good home :eek:)

I saw it on David's website. I spent several days, developing caluses on my psychological knees convincing my dearly beloved that this really would be a good deal, and that It would be better than my Ralph Sweet Cherry flute, and that I could take it everywhere, and being in 3 parts I would fit better in my back pack, and being composite I wouldn't leave drops of almond and bore oil around, and the supreme self-delusion that it would be my last MIOA purchase for a while and so ...

I Gleefully returned to Davids sight ...
to find it had a "purchase agreement" note instead of a price.

Truly glad to see a fellow C&F member now has it and that you intend to use it to further

P.S. Did Chuck Clark put you on to the Dixon? He was the first C&F to teach me the consequences of hesitation ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-08-09 17:22 ]</font>
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

On 2001-08-09 17:18, LeeMarsh wrote:
Rich,
Glad to see that Dixon got a good home :eek:)

I saw it on David's website. I spent several days, developing caluses on my psychological knees convincing my dearly beloved that this really would be a good deal, and that It would be better than my Ralph Sweet Cherry flute,
Gotta be quicker than that -- I had mail sent off to David about a half-hour after he posted a note to woodenflute (irtrad?) about it and some others. :smile:
P.S. Did Chuck Clark put you on to the Dixon? He was the first C&F to teach me the consequences of hesitation ...
Nope. Well, maybe. No one person did, although I probably found out about him from here. It was just sort of there in the back of my brain, and seemed like a good deal.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Rich,

My reference about Chuck was because serveral months ago, he and I had a ... a discussion via Ebay. Winning the discussion, he walked off with a very nice Overton. Of course I didn't find out it was Chuck until I had posted a message regarding my ... a ... disappointment at losing the a ... a... discussion.

Hope you enjoy the dixon, and I will be quicker next time.

And as always...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.