M&E flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Aodhan »

Okay then...I've had several people tell me that a combo probably isn't the best way to go.

So, considering that my background comes from piano and trumpet, how are the M&E flutes as far as learning the embouchure (sp?), etc? How about the split embouchure?

What I would consider is the M&E poly, with 4 keys (Eb, Bb, G#, F) to make a fully chromatic.

Advice? Ridicule? Suggestions?

Aodhan
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

On 2002-05-30 17:24, Aodhan wrote:

What I would consider is the M&E poly, with 4 keys (Eb, Bb, G#, F) to make a fully chromatic.
I'm sure you'll end up with a great flute that way, but might I recommend starting smaller? A keyless M&E will make a great starter instrument and session flute, and you won't be using the keys much at all for the first while, I bet.

(Just so you're aware, you've described a $600 flute -- not to make any suggestions about your finances, but it's sort of surprising to see a jump from $80 to $600. :smile: )

I like my Dixon flute -- one of his conical-bore ones, not part of a combo thingie. It's mild-mannered -- I'm pretty much at the point now after a year and a half that I want a louder, more aggressive instrument -- but it makes a great one to start out on, and it (as well as the M&E) are worth keeping around once/if you move on to wood as the flute you can throw in a backpack and not worry about. That one's just under $200.

Cheers,

<ul>-Rich</ul>