Yet another Rudall & Rose on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Yet another Rudall & Rose on Ebay

Post by Jon C. »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Wooden-Ruda ... dZViewItem

Yes Glinjack fire up the fireplace and throw it in! Nickel silver keys, crack in the Patent head... tsk, tsk... :swear:
Seriously, could be a nice Rudall for someone. I just won the Metzler from the same seller, so he seems reliable.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

If you read the auction, he is assuming it is an unmarked flute with a Rudall Patent head added.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

The person offering the Rudall had this to say:
As is common today, it is not unusual for flutists to use a different maker’s head joint on their favourite flute. Rudall and Rose would have supplied head joints to customers requiring such an upgrade. I suspect that is what we have here.

It seems to me that this is the opposite of what you'd want. Most players put a modern HJ (by Olwell, Grinter, Wilkes, Jon C., Copley... et. al.) on a Rudall Rose body. The patented HJ is heavy and not ideal for ITM.
Now it just so happens that I have an unmarked Wylde 8-key flute -- with a Wilkes HJ and barrel -- that I'd be willing to sell. Wylde was a maker who worked for Rudall & Rose at some point. Chris Wilkes said this was an unmarked Wylde when he made the HJ and barrel for it. Wylde's flutes are nearly identical to Rudalls of the period (1830-40) and play as well. This is a great player, as attested by Wilkes, the great Andrew Kirby, Rama, and myself. It has nickel keys, which should make it more affordable to players but less desireable to collectors. Better here than EBay. Make a reasonable offer or PM me if you're interested. I'll get back to you, with pictures.
Last edited by cocusflute on Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

kkrell wrote:If you read the auction, he is assuming it is an unmarked flute with a Rudall Patent head added.

Kevin Krell
Oops! :oops:
Maybe I should start reading the discription...
You are right cocusflute... Better to have a R&R or Wylde with a new head!
Michael Flatley

Jon
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

indeed!
i think Mr. Glinjack would be first to claim this one is firestix....and beat you with the Patent Head! ;)