Playing Fast?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

It's with great interest that I share this segment of an 1826 book by W.N.James who reviewed the effect of Charles Nicholson. In it is a wonderful anology of the speed with which we play. Keeping in mind, of course, that he's not discussing Irtrad, but the sentiment is wonderful, especially since it applies to the flute we've now called the Irish Flute. At this point, James is discussing the thrill of hearing Charles Nicholson first-hand and how strong and in tune his tone is, from bottom to top:
>>"..the truest test of a performer's talent is in a slow movement. A man, with mechanical art, may please and astonish in an allegro; but it is only the true musician who can embody and pourtray (sic) the delicacies and minute meaning and motives of every note in an adagio. The one displays the skill of the mechanic, the other the soul of the musician."<<
Truer words likely were never written.
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

Yes, but can this guy play softly?
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

"As I see it, music should move the heart emotionally, and a player will never achieve this by mere scrambling, hammering and arpeggiation-- not with me, anyway."

--Carl Philip Emmanuel Bach

Something to back up Mr W.N. James. I really liked his words. Music journalism of the past is so fascinating.

On the other hand, playing something too slowly can upset things just as badly. Schmaltz creeps in, and a simple little tune gets blown out of proportion. IMHO.

Cara
mark02

Post by mark02 »

Hi All:
In the jazz world they say "Ballads are the most difficult thing to play". I've often thought that the content and intention of what you are playing is most important. There's no hiding behind the flashy aspects of speed.

Side note: There is also a common classical method of practing extremely slow for the sole intention of eventually developing speed. This goes against the sentiment of the thread, but does show support for the thought that playing slow is difficult.

Thanks for the thoughts, David

-Mark Sackett
Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one's watching.