stay away from tea oil

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
e
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by e »

I just wanted to let folks who oil flutes know about the dangers of tea oil. A friend of mine who collects tenor banjos and the like used tea oil on the wood; I don't think it did any damage to the wood itself, but it very quickly (days) began to corrode and pit the metal on the tone ring. I would stick with woodwind bore oil.
Does anyone else have any experience with this stuff?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

No I don't! But thank you for the warning. I always believe it the wisest, to follow the instrument makers instructions, and to do what ever I can to secure the proper suggested oil. The instruments that we work hard to purchase need all the respect we can give to them and their makers.

Thanks again.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Do you mean tea-tree oil? This comes from an indigenous Australian tree not related to the tea plant. It's a very good antiseptic for disinfecting cuts and scratches. A little expensive for oiling your instruments, I would have thought, and likely to burn your lips!