Irish flute duets

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Madeleine

Post by Madeleine »

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of where I could get typically irish flute duets from, for a CLASSICAL flute! I'm really desperate for music and I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Madeleine :smile:
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by thurlowe »

Hi Madeleine,

At http://www.fluteworld.com, you can buy "Irish Flute Duets" by S. Potter for $6.95. The book contains "Danny Boy," "Rakes of Mallow," "Irish Washerwoman" and a few more that I can't remember. My duet partner and I have used these to great effect in our engagements. The arrangements are servicable, but not creative. But hey, add a few ornaments, and you're golden.

Best of luck,

Cara
Madeleine

Post by Madeleine »

Hey Cara,

Thank you so much for your help. That will be a great help for me. I really appreciate!!!

:smile: Luv Madeleine :smile:
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

There is also a couple of small books called Airs for Pairs vols. 1 & 2. These are arranged by Matt Seattle. Can't remember where I ordered these, but the Publisher is Dragonfly Music, 10 Gibson St., Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, Northumberland NE64 6PE. Tele: 01670 818540
ISBN 1 872277 24 1 (vol 2)
ISBN 1 872277 07 1 (vol 1)

There are about 20 well known tunes in each book and they aren't all aires. In fact there aren't many.

Clark
kittythorn

Post by kittythorn »

Madeleine,

Do you only want Irish music? I got in contact with a really good classical site. It's free, but you only get three downloads a day, and for flute there aren't a whole lot of pieces. But for what there are, I think it's worth while.

http://www.music-scores.com
Go into the Composer Index and then you can choose what you want to search for.

kitty
Psalm 145:13

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kittythorn on 2002-05-15 11:45 ]</font>
Madeleine

Post by Madeleine »

Thank you all so much for the help. I really appreciate it! :smile: I'll look at the site you gave me kitty, thanks, and I'll look at the "Airs for pairs"!

Thanks again,
Madeleine
Mark_J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark_J »

In traditional Irish music, flute duets are usually done in unison (same tune, rarely and attempts at harmony are made). The biggest differences between the play of each player are choices for breathing, emphasis, and sometimes ornamentation.

You shouldn't find a need for different sheet music since it should be the same music.

When I listen to a good older duet (the best new one was on Nugent's 3rd CD), I think of the players working together like a sled dog team. They are moving at the same tempo, but there are minor differences in how they move. For some reason, that makes the ride all the more fun.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Yes, Mark, that's how we do it... But harmony isna sin. Well maybe it is afterall cause its fun?

Clark