Great new CD!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bruce_b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bruce_b »

Hey, just got the CD, The Green House, by Grey Larsen and Paddy League and it is great. This is a must have, I've listened to it twice and I'm sure it will be one of my all time favorite recordings. Lots of flute, whistle and concertina. Grey plays an old flute body with an Abell headjoint, and what a great sound it has on this recording.
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Cool! I'm always looking for new recommendations, especially since there are absolutely no Irish music CDs where I live.

China is a little sparse on that account...

I've never heard Grey's playing before, so this will be a first.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I've listened to it twice and I'm sure it will be one of my all time favorite recordings.
Well, I must have listened to it 30-40 times, and it's definitely one of my favorite Irish CDs. Heartily recommended!

Cheers,
Jens
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

What's the thing that's so great about this cd? Is is straight traditional? Not? Fast, slow? What are we looking at here?
Tony
bruce_b

Post by bruce_b »

<<What's the thing that's so great about this cd? Is is straight traditional? Not? Fast, slow? What are we looking at here?
Tony>>

Tony,
It's pretty much straight trad. Flute, whistle & concertina with guitar & bodhran behind it. A little field organ & harmonium too.
What I find so great about it is it's just so musical! Both guys play so well and tastefully. On some tunes Grey plays really fast, but probably my favorites right now are the slower tunes with flute or concertina out front. Very beautiful, graceful and melodic.
Bruce Boysen
currently in northern NJ, considering a move to northern Ca.
Hobbies: Irish Trad, wooden flutes & concertinas, mountain biking, hiking & kayaking.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thanks, Bruce.
Musical is what gets it for me. The most inspirational trad cd I have is "Martin Hayes," which has the most amazing playing I've heard by anyone, the end. He plays fiddle (I'm sure you know that already); he doesn't race through tunes by any means, but his artistry is unparallelled. I'll be looking into Green House soon.
Tony
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I just found a really good CD from a band out of Canada. The band is the Paperboys. They have a mixure of alturnative and celtic music. The end results is some really great music. There is some really good flute music on it. So I just thought to let everyone know!