Time for a flute, help me please!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Pan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pan »

I have decided to buy a keyless D wooden flute.

I really dont know what to chose though, but I´ll give you an explanation of what I want;
I want a relative soft, mellow and pure sound suitable for duets with guitar or harp and similar. I have listened to some sound clips but the low quality of most clips makes it hard. Added EQ, reverb and such makes it even more difficult of course.

I want a balanced flute that does not favour any range to much over another.
Intonation is one of the most important aspects, as I am sensitive to that, and also as I want to play slow beatiful tunes more than wild and crazy dance tunes :smile:

As I dont (for now) intend to play in "noisy" sessions, the volume does not have to be record high, but not to low either.

Cost up to $1200 or so is ok, and I can wait up to a year or so. I´m making my own in aluminum flute right now and, find it easy to blow the three octaves in C# which the "flute" is tuned to now (no holes for the fingers yet). I intend to tune it in D. Maybe I´ll try a Bambo or Polymer in the meantime, while I wait for a "real" flute.

I like the sound of the Hammilton and M&E on Eskins site, but prefer a "nicer", less agressive, and a tad more "baroquish" sound.

I´m really interested in an Olwell, can someone point me to sound clips of his flutes.

Any input is wellcome, thanks!

/Peter
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Hey Pan:

David Migoya made some sound clips of an Olwell while he was playing in a Platonian cave. Sounds pretty cool, but the distortion could be misleading.

By the sound of what you want, the Olwell will be loud with a very powerful low end (mostly the Pratten model). Olwell does make a Rudall model, but I've never seen one.

Actually, Dave M also has a Rudall original for sale. A little expensive perhaps, but worth the tone to some.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Don't know about the Olwell Rudall, haven't had the pleasure, but the Olwell Nicholson I tried was very nice. Pat's Nicholson is easier to fill, I'm told, than the Pratten, though not capable of the same power.

Shame you can't play all these things before you choose one....

Loren
totst

Post by totst »

Mark Hoza makes a real nice modified "Pratten". Check out http://www.woodenflutemaker.com for sound clips and prices.

Tots
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Greg:
I don't think you meant to mean "expensive" as in overpriced, correct? Just higher in price than some of today's makers, which would be rather obvious for a Rudall&Rose that plays in at A=440 :smile:
Kind of like a Strad.....why buy a copy when you can have an original.
Now, can't you just wait to see what the price will be for the original Pratten that I've got here?
So far I've not yet found one like it in any museum or private collection in the world, so any help from anyone is appreciated.
This would be a Pratten original, NOT the Boosey model that came later (c.1856+).
Boosey Pratten's are easily found, but not an original Pratten, apprently.
The originals were made for one year only by John Hudson in 1855 before Boosey hired Hudson to work at the firm (and consequently bring along the Pratten model design with him).
I'm not sure how many Hudson made in that one year, but the one I've got is #49. Seeing as he worked alone, I don't suspect he made many more than this one.
Anyway....anyone out there know of one somewhere in a collection?
Pan

Post by Pan »

David,

can I find this clip of the Olwell in the cave somewhere?

/Peter
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

The description you gave brought to mind Terry McGee's "Rudall Refined" or his "Rudall Perfected" models on his website.

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/models.html

I would also look at Peter Noy's. He makes a model similar to the Terry's "Rudall Perfected" with a thinned head. He has no pictures of it on his web site but his flutes are beautiful and easy to play with very nice tone. I am considering these when I am ready for keys. He makes keyless models as well.

http://www.noyflutes.com/

- Craig
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Pan:
unfortunately, no.....I've deleted the clip, too, from my website (they were two tunes, as I recall).....not sure if anyone on list downloaded them?
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Hey David:

For the Rudall, when I say expensive, I meant more than Pan wanted to pay for a flute--not that it was over priced. I agree that great originals are a real pleasure to play, and to keep.

If you get the flute acquisition disorder...can't be buying too many R&Rs.
So, how much are you going to post that Pratten for?
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Not sure I'll be selling the Pratten at all. Want to see if it's something I'd rather be playing myself. (Yes, there are small benefits to restoring these things!)
Besides, how do you price something that's in a class by itself? I can't even imagine what I'd accept for the Pratten. (presuming it plays well....it might just stink...tee, hee)
And I know about acquiring the original R/Rs....my problem is parting with them! I've got one selling now and three others about to come up for sale. Sigh....hate to see them leave!