how to make PVC celtic flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
lkthomas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lkthomas »

actally, I do not have such kind of machine to make PVC flute, first things I want to know is, is it possible to buy a plastic flute ? how much does it cost ?
if not, is there have any DETAIL website to tell me how to do ??
Thank you.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

I recently received a PVC flute from Doug Tipple, which I bought for US$24.95 on E-Bay. If you go to the E-Bay webpage and do a search on "Doug Tipple Irish Flute", you should get a hit if he has a new one for sale.

Mine is reasonably easy to get a sound out of -- I'm new at flute, coming from whistle -- and in tune. I find the offset finger holes a little weird, but maybe they're easier than in-line holes drilled into a one-piece flute.

For the cheap price, it's pretty impressive, both in construction and sound.

(That said, it doesn't sound as good as the three-piece polymer models made by M&E, Dixon, and Seery. However, it costs several hundred dollars less than those models. Personally, I'm considering an M&E model in the future. . .)

--Aaron
lkthomas

Post by lkthomas »

but do you think that guys flute is OK ?
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

I don't know what else you need to know, but like I said in my first post, it plays in tune, has a pretty good sound, and is perfectly functional. It doesn't sound like a wooden flute, but it's not made of wood. It doesn't sound like a high-end polymer flute, but it's not a high-end polymer flute. So if you want a flute that sounds like a wooden or polymer flute, buy a wooden or polymer flute. If you want a flute that's impressive for the (very) low price, and are willing to make the compromises that come with it, Tipple's PVC is pretty impressive.

You can hear it being played on Michael Eskin's webpage; do a search on this forum for "My flute/whistle comparisons page" (just a little way down on the forum, and click on the link for Doug Tipple's PVC flute. Maybe that will give you more info of the kind you need.

--Aaron
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

A buddy of mine got one of these, too. I was impressed. I have tried to make PVC flutes. I can make a playable piccolo, but after trying to make a D flute, I am really impressed with Mr. Tipple's example.

I would say it is worth a bit more than the 25 bucks he asks. I found it easy to play (not a flutist, just a whistler) and it has a pretty good sound.

It is true that it doesn't sound like a good wood or polymer flute, but it sounds a lot better than a second-rate wood flute. I keep threatening to get one for me, but I have too many unplayed instruments already.

-Patrick
lkthomas

Post by lkthomas »

whistler ?
is it whistle is not using sideblow ?!? can you show my your flute pic ?
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Sorry to confuse you. I normally play a whistle. The flute in question is a side-blown flute, not a whistle. I was meaning to say that for a guy who normally doesn't play flute (me) it is actually pretty easy to blow.

I don't have the experience with high-end flutes that most folks here have, so my comments are not to be taken as authoritative. I like the Tipple flute, but I wouldn't play it enough to justify spending even the very low price he asks for his work. But it sounded good to me and was easy enough to play that I have really been tempted to get one.

Hope that clears it up. If you want to see a picture, look at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =864517946

-Patrick
lkthomas

Post by lkthomas »

is that is what you got ?
seems not expensive at all, but low D also have a metal version , right ? ( metal low D ?!? )
tinwhistle is really nice, well, at least I have listen the sample in "titanic"

I want sideblow, because your blow skill can change the sound!
I am a ex-flute player, but too busy in this years, never touch it in there period. hopfully I will interested in tinwhistle
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

As I said, I do not own one. My friend owns one. I like it. It is worth more than it costs.

I play whistles. The flute we are talking about is made of plastic. I like metal whistles. I also like plastic whistles. I have never tried a metal flute.

Enjoy your music!

-Patrick