Olwell arrived!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Geeze Jeff,

Let's not get greedy now, you already have one!

Thanks for the e-mail by the way, I appreciate it!

Loren
drummerboy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by drummerboy »

Jeff

I think that people will agree with me in saying that people have been shot for saying less :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drummerboy on 2002-05-01 18:20 ]</font>
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Well folks:

There are some good flutes out there, but Olwells seem to get the most discussion, more than Grinters or Wilkes (the latter has a 7 year wait? Shoot, I'm likely to be a base bouzouki player by then???).

Actually, the secret to getting your Olwell in one year is...well that too is a secret!

But, you know, as for workmanship on the three blackwood Olwell flutes I've played (my own lured out of me by Migoya in exchange for an R&R and a Wilkes headjoint that could make even Kevin Crawford reassess his alliance with Mike Grinter)...there is better workmanship out there than Olwell's IMHO (Wilkes and Noy, to name a couple). But his design and sound are unique and rich and LOUD and, what really sets his flutes apart, sensitive to musical styles and players embouchures.

When's the last time you heard anyone complain about an Olwell flute?

All this banter is just my self-styled psyching up for the low Bb flute Olwell has made (#10!!!). One year comes due May 11. What the hell...China can wear on a guy over time.

G
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Okay G.,

How 'bout you define this "Better Workmanship", I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying Wilkes and Noy flutes are more precisely turned, to tighter tolrances? Are they sanded and polished better? Or perhaps they play more consitently from flute to flute? You're not talking about decoration here are you, the addition of engraved rings etc?

Loren
P.S. So, there's a secret to getting your Olwell in a year, eh....thanks for sharing.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I'm not speaking for "g" but I would imagine he is referring to the aesthetic product and not how it plays. At least that's how I read it.

I can't compare an Olwell to a Noy because I have never seen an Olwell first hand, but having seen and played several Noy's they are very fine looking instruments not to mention how nice they play. He ingrains this ivory colored walrus bone into the cutting side of the embouchure hole that looks awesome and plays great too.

I would like to hear more about how a Noy compares sound wise in tone and playability compared to an Olwell.

- Craig
drummerboy

Post by drummerboy »

I was going to say something about this whole better workmanship than patrick conversation but I have decided to not touch this one with a 56FT pole due to were I think this one is heading. All I know is that I have never played a better overall (all things considered) flute than an Olwell!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drummerboy on 2002-05-03 22:40 ]</font>