Anybody selling a polymer flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JIrwin

Post by JIrwin »

Hey, all.

I finally got a new job and am looking to buy a polymer flute. I'd like to get either an M&E, Seery or Dixon 3-part.

Anyone need to thin out their collection?

Janer
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

And further, has anyone out there played flutes by all three of these makers'? I'm thinking of purchasing a polymer flute, too, and wonder if anyone who's played all three can compare them for us.

The Dixon, at under $200 brand new, is awfully tempting, but if the M&E and/or Seery are substantially better, I might go for one of those. (By better, I mean mostly "better-sounding" and/or "better to learn on"; the appearance of the thing doesn't matter too much to me.)

Thanks,

Aaron
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Aaron,

You might consider an Olwell bamboo. They are great flutes, extremely well made, at a very good price. I think you can buy one in the key of d for less than $100.00.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I think someone by the name of Tristen on the woodflute list has all 3 polymer flutes you mentioned. You can probably suscribe to that and ask him. He mentioned that the Dixon isn't exactly in the same league as the M&E and Seery.
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I have one of the Dixon 3 piece flutes that I'm very happy with. I bought it for its tone which I think is great, although the embroucher is a little harder to master (from what others have told me). This issue has come up a couple of times and JessieK had all three flutes at one time and posted a brief summary.
Try: <a href=http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 72&forum=2
>Inexpensive Flute Reccomendations topic</a>
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
JIrwin

Post by JIrwin »

Yeah --- I've done quite a bit of reading on this board and elsewhere - I'd do with any of the three, because I know I could easily get rid of it if I didn't like it, for whatever reason. I'm leaning towards the Dixon 3-piece from what people have said here.

My main question is still -- anyone selling? :smile:

Janer