left hand position--rolls?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've been balancing my low D flute
as recommended, basically on the
top of the palm
of my hand below my left index finger.

But I'm having a tough time ornamenting
with my left hand that way--rolls especially.
Advice please. Is this just a matter
of practice?
BrianW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrianW »

Jim,

I am no expert, althought, I struggled with the same thing a few summers ago when I began with my flute. I looked at every photo I could find of left hand position--CD jackets, books, websites, and anywhere else I could think of.

In the end, I found that if I hold my flute, pushing the side of the flute closest to my face with the second knuckle of my left thumb, against the first knuckle of my left pointer (index) finger, I can manage the left hand notes much better. (Assuming that your left hand is the one closest to the head of the flute.) In time and with practice it becomes much easier.

This was the toughest thing for me, coming from a whistle background, about picking up the flute.

I also found David Migoya and Terry Mcgee very helpful in answering my questions about the left hand challenge--they have email addresses on their respective web sites.

I hope this helps a bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrianW on 2002-04-16 19:43 ]</font>
Conal O Grada
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Conal O Grada »

Hello Steve
It sounds to me as if you are tensing your left hand holding the flute and that as a result your fingers are not able to move freely. Try the following: Balance the flute on the palmside of the bottom knuckle of the first finger on your left hand (as you have described already). Use the thumb of the left hand to support (not grasp) the flute, Use your right hand (I generally use the small finger on my right hand for this) to push the bottom of the flute gently away from you. This will result in the flute pivoting on tour left hand thumb and pushing in snugly to your chin. This will mean that there is no grasping action in your fingers leaving them free to move as fast as bee's wings.
Beir Bua
Conal O Grada
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks to both of you. Will try.
It boggles my mind that people can
play low D flutes (especially one's
as heavy as those made of blackwood)
quickly--but I've seen it done! Best