C-Sharp: how do you handle the worst roll on flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

The recent thread about how to roll a C-natural got me thinking about the worst roll on the Irish flute: a rolled C-sharp.

When I can get around trying to roll a C-sharp by almost anything else I will, but every blue moon there is a long C-sharp staring you in the face and begging to be ornamented.

Usually I will do a "fake roll" with two taps, first to A and then to B. This isn't great, but is better than just holding the note.

If I can break the note up for a breath, I usually will, that's another way to handle it but it doesn't always fall in the right place in a tune for that.

The only other way I've heard of handling it came from McCullough's tinwhistle tutor book, and that is to do three taps, one with each finger of the left hand. I play with this sometimes but so far can't make this sound clean on either flute or whistle.

Does anybody have other ways of handling this?

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

yep
alternatives are:
triplet the note for dotted pattern (long roll)
duplet the note for short
or change the musical pattern entirely and make an accoustical movement there, such as an arpeggio or what not