Aching

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kae

Post by Kae »

I love playing the flute. I have solved the problem of backaches, and am doing pretty well(so I think :smile:) I have one major problem, though. Whenever I've been playing for around 20 minutes or so, my neck starts to hurt, and I don't know how to compete with this. Has anyone had a similar problem, and can anyone help me?

Kae
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

How'd you solve the backache problem?

Heck, I'd settle for suffering just the neck pain and occasional left wrist swelling if I could at least get rid of the back pain - 1 out of three ain't bad :smile:

Loren "Gimpy" B.
Kae

Post by Kae »

Here's a site that was really good, and it opened my eyes. Also, I found that if I sat while playing, my back got to hurting a lot more than if I stood. If you stand and play, it helps a lot, and then if you move around a bit, just rocking back and forth - any movement is better than none at all. I have observed violin players rock back and forth in their chairs before, and my mom, who plays the violin, says that it helps her, too.

http://members.aol.com/utaharts/lam/painfree.htm

Note: This is only what has worked for me, so I don't know if it will help you. I hope it will help, though!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kae on 2002-04-08 17:51 ]</font>
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Thanks Kae for the link you posted.

I have only started playing the flute very recently, and have experienced quite a lot of physical uncomfortabilities.
The pains in the wrists are a lot less now.

When playing yesterday i tried the suggestions, and ideed the flute ended up quite straight.
I think I will benefit a lot from this - lots more air and less neck and back strain!

I guess there are so many things to focus on when playing the flute that posture doesn't come as a first automatically. thanks again.

Jeroen