I made a PVC flute better than my LIM bamboo!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bartleby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bartleby »

Being a whistler and aspiring flutist with very limited funds, I bought a little 14 1/2" long 'D' flute from LIM. After several frustrating weeks of trying to play this flute, I did some research and decided to try to make a PVC flute. I found Pete Kosel's web page, which has excellent instructions for making a PVC flute. Using the design for the 'G' flute, and with my 9 year old son as my able-bodied assistant, I was able to make a PVC flute that's better than my little LIM bamboo <b>on my first attempt</b>. Go figure. BTW, I'm not trying to put down LIM; the bamboo flute I bought from them was cheap, around $20.00, and I guess I got what I paid for. I've bought some instruments from them that are very good. However, when it comes to their bamboo flutes, I can't recommend them. Thanks, Pete for your web page. I'm already enjoying my flute very much. The link for his page is: http://www.cwo.com/~ph_kosel/designs.html

Now I'm going to attempt to make a 'D' flute.
Unfortunately, the design for the 'D' on Pete's page calls for 3/4" thick pipe. I'd prefer to use 1/2" thick pipe, like the 'G' flute I made. Anybody know where a design for a 1/2" thick 'D' flute can be had? Also, does anyone have any experience with painting and/or lacquering these flutes with a non-toxic finish? It sounds pretty, so I'd like to make it look like a flute instead of just a piece of PVC pipe with holes in it. Thanks for your help!
D Brooker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by D Brooker »

Congratulations! - I am also making my first attempts at producing flutes and whistles - you can use SHARPIE brand markers to do any type of decoration on plastic, it's non-toxic and can be applied in layers to build up the colors - once done you can finish it with a waterbase non-toxic varnish. Just an option.