Looking for a 6 hole D Fife/piccolo In canada

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Spiritchaser
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m interested in getting some experienced opinions for a suitable D flute for a beginner (me)

More specifically a flute that’s plastic (ABS or Delrin) so I can take it Backpacking and kayaking, and well suited to my relatively short, wide, mole-hands.

Looking for a 6 hole D Fife/piccolo In canada

Post by Spiritchaser »

So I finally sorted out My D flute, with the help of some suggestions from around here... and that’s great... I’m now at least 12% less awful and gaining!

Only... now I’m finding that switching between my little Yamaha fife and my 6 hole keyless D flute is... well let’s just say my brain doesn’t do that as well as I’d like.

So I’d love to get my hands on a 6 hole D Fife which would use the same fingering as my flute, just an octave higher.

I have found a Tony Dixon 6 hole “piccolo” which looks reasonable, but unfortunately isn’t imported into Canada. Heroic measures may be possible.

WD sweet used to make a 6 hole polymer D fife, but these seem to be discontinued and out of stock.

Carbony makes something that looks great but which costs way too much for a beginner like me.

I’d really prefer Plastic so that I can throw it in the day hatch of my kayak, or in my backpack without worrying too much, but I may have to settle for what I can get.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places I might look for such a creature?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Last edited by Spiritchaser on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Looking for a 6 hole D Fife In canada

Post by Sedi »

How about aluminium?
http://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/epages/ ... ium2pce%22

Also comes in a one-piece version with lip-plate and a three-piece version with lip-plate:
http://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/epages/ ... %5B1%5D%22
http://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/epages/ ... %5B1%5D%22
Spiritchaser
Tell us something.: I’m interested in getting some experienced opinions for a suitable D flute for a beginner (me)

More specifically a flute that’s plastic (ABS or Delrin) so I can take it Backpacking and kayaking, and well suited to my relatively short, wide, mole-hands.

Post by Spiritchaser »

Those would work just fine!

Ideally I’d prefer to avoid importing things from outside North America right now since Canadian customs seems to be going through an unusually officious phase (personal opinion based on two data points which clearly don’t constitute enough evidence but I’m going with it anyway)

If I can’t come up with anything else, those would likely work, and I certainly wouldn’t need to worry much about durability!
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

I am in the same boat, but need to put a word of caution here.

A few months ago I did get a "Fife" in Bb, from a seemingly popular maker. However, I was hugely confused when receiving it, and after a back and forth email chain, I realized that Fife was to be played in one more octave above a whistle, so 2 octaves over a flute instead of 1...
The second octave of a flute was rather weak to unplayable on the fife.

I have since politely returned the fife and looking for another solution. Maybe it's called "piccolo" more commonly.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I have a keyless, blackwood with sterling rings piccolo in D by Peter Worrell in D. It is the same pitch as a whistle, same fingering as a keyless flute. I am in BC, so contact me if you are interested.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Generally fifes are to be played in the 2nd & 3rd octaves, piccolo usually in the 1st & 2nd, occasionally 3rd, octaves - that is where they are tuned to play.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Spiritchaser

Post by Spiritchaser »

Given that definition I want a piccolo rather than a fife, in that I want to play mainly in the first and second octaves.

Though given that definition, rather more than a few of the “fifes” out there are likely best called piccolos!

I’ll be sure to specifically ask in each case!

That said, does anyone know of a six hole delrin piccolo maker?
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Re: Looking for a 6 hole D Fife/piccolo In canada

Post by flutefry »

My Worrell piccolo has been sold.

Hugh
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kintailpipes »

I know! and I'm looking forward to its arrival. Thanks again Hugh!
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I cant be much use here bit I have a D flute by David Angus (fife and drum shop) and its nice. And seeing that hes mainly known for his fifes and not flutes, I'd expect his fifes to be really nice.
kintailpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kintailpipes »

Thanks, Hugh.
The Piccolo arrived safely and I am enjoying the sound. I would almost describe it as a traverse blown penny whistle, but better. I play the fife and flute and the piccolo definitely plays with flute fingering and not Fife. But what can be played on the flute and fife can also be played on the Irish Piccolo. Fife tunes need to be transposed, you can't play with fife fingering.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

So, who makes keyless piccolos suitable for Irish music? Peter Worrell is mentioned above. Anyone else?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Mine (keyless) are made by Tony Dixon - an ABS one piece, a brass with ABS head, & an aluminium with ABS head, plus metal slide.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Steve Bliven wrote:So, who makes keyless piccolos suitable for Irish music? Peter Worrell is mentioned above. Anyone else?

Best wishes.

Steve
David Angus - see the link in my post above. I have a low D keyless flute from him and it's really nice. Great prices, too.
flutefry

Post by flutefry »

Kintailpipes-glad you are enjoying the piccolo. I agree with the transverse whistle but better descriptor-that's what my bandmates said as well.

Hugh