Flute of Shame

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Flute of Shame

Post by stiofan »

Ah, the good ol' days. Apparently tomato tossing just wasn't enough.
https://www.classicfm.com/discover-musi ... musicians/

jim stone

Re: Flute of Shame

Post by jim stone »

Do they have one in Eb?
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Ah yes, the Flute of Shame and the Stool of Repentance. They knew how to deal with poor session etiquette in those days.....
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It's rougher now and more simple. At a session in Tucson they threatened to shoot me.
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

It was probably well intentioned, maybe a finger stetching device, which would explain why evenly spaced toneholes were something of a norm, and still are sometimes. It would not surprise me if musicians of the day had their own very simple wooden versions which they would wear at night while they slept for example.

I just wonder who had the say. Would a lord scrutinise musicians with a beady eye when they were playing at a banquet, or was it neighbours who complained of music after dusk on a Tuesday ?

Also, from an abstract of

'He plays on the pillory'. The use of musical instruments for punishment in the Middle Ages and the Early Modern Era

By Marie Louise Herzfeld-Schild

"As well as this historical fact, there also exists an interpretation that takes the illustrations by Bruegel and Wierix literally. It suggests that these punishment practices originally date back to a more ancient use of real instruments in a penal system that was applied and understood as a 'healing punishment' (poena medicinalis) to banish the ill and re-establish the good in the delinquent, the community and the world as a whole due to musical sounds."
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jim stone wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 am It's rougher now and more simple. At a session in Tucson they threatened to shoot me.
Well that is the Wild West after all.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Loren wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:09 pm
jim stone wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 am It's rougher now and more simple. At a session in Tucson they threatened to shoot me.
Well that is the Wild West after all.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Y'all crack me up.