De Keyser Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ben »

Someone has given me a De Keyser flute for an indefininate period. Very Plain. Functional but plays very well . Very responsive and in tune up and down . Lovely full rounded bottom D only problem is after a while the volume sometimes drops off. Any ideas as to why this might happen. No Cracks and have oiled the bore regularly.
Bryan Poe

Post by Bryan Poe »

Probably moisture build-up in the instrument. Try aiming the foot of the flute towards the floor and, with all holes covered, give a good blow with your lips completely covering the embouchure hole.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks for the tip Bryan. I seem to have to do the clearning of the moisture a lot.
The moisture seems to build up pretty quickly.
Anything I can do to help the situation?
psychih
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by psychih »

don't drool into the flute? hehe~ just kidding.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

One thing to try is warming the headjoint with your hand or under your arm before playing.

The warmer the flute, the less condensation will form in the bore. After all, the build-up of moisture occurs because warm, moist air from your lungs is impacting cold wood or cold metal in the flute. The less temperature difference, the less condensation will form.

I once had to play at outdoor gig at night when the temperature was about 55 degrees. Water poured from my M&E like a water faucet but it remained playable (although flat). My old wooden 8-key quickly clogged to the point it was unplayble. My silver flute went so badly flat I gave up on it quickly. My plastic M&E carried the day!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com