no pain no gain?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I have been practicing a new song that incorporates several rolls on "A". After practicing for about 10 minutes my left hand palm gets sore. I'm not sure if this is the muscles sore or if it's something else. It's been a real struggle trying to get my hands to relax especially when I'm focusing on tightening my embouchure or I'm trying to learn a new tune.

Can anyone tell me what pain you should be concerned about and what pain is "normal" developement type pain? In other words what pain do you stop practice for and what pain do you fight thru and expect your hands to adapt and build muscles for?

Thanks,

Craig Image

posted to woodenflutelist

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2002-03-28 17:07 ]</font>
JamieHamilton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JamieHamilton »

Craig -

When I used to play with my left hand in the "classic" grip, and I went through pretty much the same thing - my hand, especially my thumb and out palm, would be killing me for a couple hours after I stopped practicing. This is what I found that helped (besides switching to piping-style grip!):

1. It sounds strange, but whenever you play, concentrate on keeping your left pinkie finger completely limp. If you can accomplish this, usually the rest of your fingers will follow suit and loosen up, but if your pinkie is stuck out rigidly, it's usually a sign that your whole hand is tensing up.

2. Maybe you're already doing this, but try to "raise" your grip on the flute. What I mean is, instead of really *pressing* the flute against your index finger with your thumb (the "Rockstro grip" if you know what that is), try to cradle it between the lower portion of your thumb and the bone in your hand just below your index finger. Cradle it properly, and you'll hardly have to press at all with your thumb - just hold the flute up with your thumb as a pedastal. Hopefully that makes sense, but if you want a great example, check out the way Jean-Michel Veillon holds his flute.

Cheers,

Jamie.