Irish Flute Teachers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

Does anyone know of an internet site where I can find listings of Irish Flute Teachers? I have been trying to find a teacher in my area, but so far the results have not been rewarding...
jgrogers

Post by jgrogers »

Where are you?
John
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I live in Californa, USA. I don't really want to say where exactly in Californa I live, just because my mom has made me paronoide about giving out where I live over the internet, you know-over protective mom sindrome, lol...

PS Sorry about spelling AKA I suck at it!
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Brad Hurley has a great guide to <a href="http://www.sover.net/~bhurley/begin.html">getting started on the Irish flute</a>, which includes some comments on <a href="http://www.sover.net/~bhurley/learning. ... s">finding instruction</a>. It's worth poking around the <a href="http://www.sover.net/~bhurley/flute.html">rest of his Irish Flute guide</a>, too. Tons of useful stuff. It's like a Chiff and Fipple for the Irish flute, minus Miss Sorvino.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and you want to play Irish music you needn't travel any further than Jack Gilder. I don't have his number handy but if you call Lark in the Morning Music they'll have it.
Good Luck
Jeff
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

Thanks for all your help! I will try to contack Jack Gilder.
nbessmer

Post by nbessmer »

My penny whistle teacher was Tony Cuff, formally I believe of Plantxy. I live in the Boston area and took courses at the cambridge Adult Ed where Tony was teaching. He was a great teacher and there were some pretty good whistlers. It was at this time that Tony brought his super low-d custom made whistle - in reality an Irish Flute. This is a penny whistle that is played like a piper with the not the finger tips but more towards the joints of the fingers.

In any case, I am really happy to find this site and have been basically having to be self-taught. The Low D whistle is not easy to play and "embrasure" is not easy. I still have to work hard to get into the higher scales and I still get cramps. But I have made progress.

Now I am in need of a teacher and a group to play with in order to progress and get the most fun out of playing this wonderful instrument and music! I particularly enjoy irish airs.

If you know of anyone in Boston who teaches or who has band, please let me know!

Thanks!
-Nicholas Bessmer
Bessmern@aol.com
Nicholas Bessmer
Carmel Gunning

Post by Carmel Gunning »

If you are in Ireland or coming to Ireland just call me at 071 - 62008 or e.mail carmelgunning@hotmail.com for to make an appointment for flute lesson. Signed Carmel Gunning.
Carmel Gunning.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'm in San Diego, if you're anywhere near, please email me and we can discuss lessons...
Conal O Grada

Post by Conal O Grada »

Scoiltrad provides tuition on a range of instruments over the Internet. I'm the flute teacher and if you want any additional information you can contact me through the site at http://www.scoiltrad.com
Beir Bua
Conal
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

The Scoiltrad should be a serious option for anyone learning flute or whistle, especially if you don't have a good teacher in your neighbourhood. There have been lots of positive comments on the "woodenflute" list, and also on the C&F whistle board - see for example:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 08&forum=1

By the way, for those who are not already familiar with Conal O'Grada's playing, his CD "The Top of Coom" is one not to be missed.

Dave Copley,
Loveland, Ohio
nla

Post by nla »

Hi Nicholas,

Boston Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann (CCE) sponsors a music school during the academic year and offers classes in flute and whistle (though not low whistle which you have). You can contact me if you want more info--I do the administrative work for the school. Jimmy Noonan also has a music school that's located in Norwood.

For folks to play with you might try visiting the Green Briar in Brighton on Monday nights. Before the regular CCE session at 9, there's a slow session that meets starting around 7--usually a lot of folks show up, including many of Tony's students.

I think they're also holding a learning session at the Castlebar (also in Brighton) on Thursday nights, which sounds to me as though it is not as well attended--good if you're looking for a small group to play with.

Regards,
Nancy