Seperating Notes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I was wondering how you should or maybe prefer to seperate two of the same note?

I am looking for what the default response is here. I know you could place a roll there, but when you first learn a tune do you glottal stop, tongue, cut, or just a tap(lifting the same finger as the note. exp- for an 'a' lift the finger covering the 'a' up and down quickly)?

So if you were learning twinkle twinkle, how would you separate the first two notes? If you are starting on "D" would you lift the D finger up quickly(tap), the A finger up quickly(cut), tongue, or glottal stop(cough diaphram thingy)?

What is the more traditional way of approaching the tune?

- Craig

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2002-03-22 10:03 ]</font>
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

common......somebody throw me a bone here!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2002-03-22 15:28 ]</font>
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Well Craig, I'm just a beginner so don't pay too much attention to what I say. Most often I use cuts to separate notes. When the melody goes from a high note to a lower note, I play sometimes a tap before the lower note.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Thanks Claudine,

That helps. I use a cut as well. I first learned to play from a Piper and so he never emphasized using tongue. Any other opinions out there?

- Craig
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

This is precisely what makes this music so much fun. The answer to your question: You can do whatever you'd like.
You can separate them with a cut between then; a tap between them; a cut before the first and tap between them; a grace from above or below between them (I'd probably come from an F# below); a long roll by holding the note (so now it's One long A instead of two), or a short roll depending on your speed.
The possibilities are endless :smile:
Just don't lose the melody!
IrishBen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IrishBen »

Craig:
David brings up the most important point, that is don't lose the melody. To be honest when I'm playing fast I'm not even sure what I'm doing, I think your mind is on auto pilot. Sounds strange but I would focus more on the melody and let your fingers do what they will. Your own style will emerge. One thing though having a background in Fifing, I'm guessing I play more stacatto on the Flute than many others / Ben