First Irish flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kaeru

Post by Kaeru »

Hi!

I am ready to purchase my first Irish flute after playing the silver flute for several years. I know that I should get a polymer flute because the climate where I live is a little harsh. What I am absolutely clueless about is whether I should get a keyless flute to start out with, or if it might not be better to have a few keys right from the start. Any advice at all would be appreciated!!!
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

You don't saw whether you'll be playing Irish/Celtic music, just that you'll want to buy an "Irish" flute (remember....the flute itself isn't an Irish thing.....actually, best historical makers were English).
If it is to play the music, in the technique as well, then a keyless is a best first purchase. This way you can develop the finger work and muscles necessary to play this tradition properly. Add keys later, when you findyourself playing tunes that need them (or you're totally nuts like Niell Keegan and choose to "jazz up" your Irish!).