fifes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gemm84
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gemm84 »

Does anyone have a Ralph Sweet fife? Are they any good? I'm thinking about buying one. I know, I have a new question every 2 hours, but I don't know a blessed thing.
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

There are a lot of better fifes out there. Run a search on this forum and look for fife related posts by Dave Migoya or myself. My posts include links to fife vendors. Or go to my website and follow the links to sutlers and vendors. E-mail me privately if you have more questions. I love talking fifes, but don't want to fill up this forum with a discourse that's somewhat off-topic.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

well, I've never had a fife before and was thinking about buying one this weekend. So I don't want one that's really expensive, just one to sort of try.
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

In that case, try the $6 plastic fife from Cooperman. Anyone I teach starts out with this one. In my opinion, it's the only fife under the $100 range worth having.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

Thanks, I'm going to a music store with fifes and stuff this weekend, I'll see what I can find.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

well put, Jim!
The black plastic fife is exactly the one I started on.....uh.....wow.....long, long time ago!
anyway....they're surely suitable for any beginner.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If you'd like a photo and sound sample of an old Ralph Sweet fife in ebony wood, see

http://www.flutesite.com/sweethea1.htm

It's the only fife I've ever owned, so I have no standard of comparison as to how well it plays compared to another make. It plays well enough for my purposes (playing alongside Great Highland Pipes--I doubt they even hear much of me over the pipes anyway.)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com