crystal flute :(

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gemm84
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gemm84 »

I have an unfortunate story for you all, and I need your advice.
When I was eleven years old, I saved up all my allowance money for 6 months to buy a Hall's Crystal flute. So it was one of my favorite things in the whole entire world. And yesterday (6 years later) I was going to play it and I set it down on my bed so I could go get my books. Five minutes later, I came back to my room, sat down on the bed and CRUNCH. It was in five pieces. So I sat there bawling for like 2 hours and I feel so awful. How should I go about putting it back together?
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Well, um - yeah (trying to not make you cry again). Well, you don't actually. Not with any real degree of success. However, if you really want to try, I would recommend a 2 part epoxy. Glue 2 pieces together, let it cure overnight then add another piece.

On the other hand, I can't stand to see people cry, so if 8 other people join me, I will contribute $10 to the "Buy Gemm a Crystal Flute" campaign.

Erik
brownja

Post by brownja »

On the other hand, I can't stand to see people cry, so if 8 other people join me, I will contribute $10 to the "Buy Gemm a Crystal Flute" campaign.
Erik
That's a good idea. How could that be arranged?
jb
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Well, we could either all send $10 to her (or her parents) PayPal account or you could all send it to mine and I could buy her the flute.

How about this: if you are interested in contributing either post here or e-mail me at erik@tullberg.com . When we have enough folks interested we can figure out which way is the best to go.

Erik

p.s. So Gemm, if we're able to do this, what pattern would you like? http://www.hallflutes.com/hall/flutes.htm .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ErikT on 2002-03-11 08:38 ]</font>
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

Guys thanks for offering, that's really sweet of you, but I'd feel bad if you went out of your way to buy me a new one. That was really nice of you to offer, I really appreciate it.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Gemm,

There are times in our lives when someone tries to do something nice for us - for absolutely no reason other than kindness. It took me a long time to learn to simply say, Thank you. Let us be kind to you and your new flute may have the same meaning as your old one.

Of course, if you really don't feel that it would be appropriate, that is fine, too, and we will respect your decision. If I were the parent of a 17 y.o. female I'm not certain that that I would feel comfortable with a bunch of folks on the internet sending things to my daughter :smile:

None-the-less, I hope that we can help,

Erik
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

By the way, here is a response from an e-mail that I sent off to James Hall:
Dear Erik,
It is sad news about her flute. We will offer her 30% off on a replacement for her flute.

The flutes have been all redesigned during the last 2 months. So finger finger placement will be slightly different then the one she had. The new design uses a larger embouchure hole so it will play with more volume and the pitch of the of the instruments have been corrected for the embouchure change and for a 68 deg F standard tuning.

So the new flutes are about 5 mm longer than our older models. We have also dropped the "Washington USA" from our logo on the new models for easy identification and for less clutter on the flute.

Sincerely,
James Hall

==========================================
HALL CRYSTAL FLUTES, INC.
17220 Sargent Road SW, Rochester, WA 98579
Phone: 360-273-6216 Fax: (360) 273-6217
Orders: (800) 231-2499
==========================================

Visit us on the web at http://hallflutes.com

Email: mailto:james@hallflutes.com Email: mailto:james@hallflutes.com
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

Erik,
Thank you so much, I really appreciate everything you've done. Nope, my parents probably wouldn't appreciate people from the internet sending me things (even a crystal flute) but I'll think about Mr. Hall's offer. The truth is, sooner or later my mom's going to ask me to play my crystal flute for her (my dad knows but I didn't tell my mom about it-she'd have gotten rather upset) and aside from that, I really like crystal flutes. So thanks for the help, it makes my day to know that there are such nice people out there!
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

You're welcome. I'm sure James will remain happy to help... seems like a nice guy.

Thanks to jb who was willing to help as well.

Erik
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I, too, have a terrible story.
I had this beautiful Claude Laurent crystal flute, left it on my bed and crunch when I sat down, forgetting it was there!
It's only about $15,000 to replace (if you can first find one, then wrestle it from the owner's or curator's hands!). Will you contribute to my relief fund?
Moral: Be exceedingly careful with your flute, no matter what it's made of. But especially careful for those irreplaceable ones. And INSURE all your flutes!!!
A Hall ain't a Laurent, for sure, but I'm sure Gemm is equally mortified.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Ok David,

(Said in an low nasely voice) Whoever wants to help replace David's Eve St. Lauren Crystal flute, please send me $10.

When I have $15,000, I will buy the flute for him or perhaps keep it as a lesson to not put crystal flutes on beds. Who knew that was such a problem.

:wink: Erik
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

wow, David. I thought I had it bad. I'm really sorry about your flute. It's sort of a bad thing when it matches the pattern on your bedspread isn't it? I think I'm going to superglue mine back together. I'll just think of it as tweaking a Crystal flute.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

(tongue firmly in cheek)
thanks all for your money.
Send more. :smile:

I was KIDDING!
Merely trying to point out that placing a flute -- ANY flute -- onto an area where you would sit or knock it to the floor is not wise and this unfortunate incident for Gemm should be a reminder to all.
And, yes, Claude Laurent was the 1800s maker of crystal flutes. Marvelous things, really. Until they broke, of course.
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

well, last night my dad and I super-glued my crystal flute back together. That was like surgery. Probably if I'd have sneezed I would have lost all the pieces. But Anyway, afterwards I was really upset and went to sit in my room and my dad came downstairs and said, "why don't we order another one now, before Mom gets home," I KNOW, I KNOW, I was irresponsible and don't deserve another one, but he wanted to order one so we did. He's so great. This time I won't leave it anywhere but in the case.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

You just experienced the grace of a father.

Nice to hear :smile:
Erik