How do you allign your parts on a Piece flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I was wondering how you guys allign your sections on a 3 piece? Do you have them just straight or just turn the top piece toward you or what? What do you prefer?
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

I usually keep the tone holes section turned outwards (away), because I use piper fingering and that way it is more comfortable to hold for me. But the orientation between lips and emb hole for me is almost 90 degrees.
kgharper

Post by kgharper »

Advice from another novice (what works for me) on the Dixon

To get the most consistent tone I find it helps turning the head slightly towards you so that the back edge of the emb hole is lined up with the centre of the holes in the middle section.I can't remeber whether I got this tip from the board or off one of the flute makers web sites, but it works.

Turn the lower section a few degree towards you also. I play piper fingering on the lower holes with my little finger resting on the barrel. The slight twist here is more comfortable on the wrist.
tunemarshall

Post by tunemarshall »

Greetings!
I teach beginning and junior high band and have been told by many makers and teachers of flutes that acoustically it doesn't matter where the holes are placed around the flute. It is the position of the emboucure that is important. Of course we all know that somewhere in our irish flute is the perfect balance and set-up that will instantaneously shave 5 strokes off our flute playing. Anyway, turn the holes to the bottom if you like. Comfort is key, especially when playing a ten minute set of slides at a session. Your body knows what will work, listen to it.