Olwell versus Desi Seery

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
okverka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by okverka »

Hi all,
could you compare Olwell versus Desi Seery? I am preparing to buy Desi this week, should I switch to Olwell at this very last minute? :eek:)

Is Olwell tuned not only to itself, but also to other instruments at the session? i.e. does it matter that it has no tuning possibilities? Is it's D a real D? I have a bamboo flute from another maker, it is a pleasure to play it, but it is a quarter or half tone out of tune, so I can’t play it at sessions.

thanks for any advice,
Otakar Kverka
Prague, Bohemia
http://irsko.tripod.com
Otakar Kverka
Prague
Bohemia, Europe
Try my web with some photos from my Ireland bike holiday and links to Irish music and dance in Czech Republic
http://irsko.unas.cz
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Hi Otakar,

You're looking at too very different beasts here, so it very much depends on what you are looking for.
In this I am assuming you talk about Seery's Delrin Flutes and Patrick Olwell's Bamboo flutes.

The Seery is an 'Irish' flute, made the same as the expensive wooden versions: tapered body, tuning slide, 3 pieces (he makes different models now).
Whether it sounds like a high quality wooden flute is another argument, but it looks, feels and plays like on.

The Bamboo flute is a bamboo flute: Light, cylindrical, non-tuneable and with a different sound.
I recently had a chance to play one - and now I want one!! Didn't check it to a tuner, but was in tune with the other instruments I played with. Have heard only positive comments about these flutes.

Just 2cts from a beginning player who is lucky enough to know someone who has lots of whistles and flutes :grin: