dixon flutes/piccolos?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gemm84
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gemm84 »

are the plastic dixon flutes and piccolos any good? The only kind of flute I usually play is the silver concert flute and silver concert piccolo. I've tried bamboo ones before and wood flutes, but I don't want an expensive one right away. Anyone have an opinion for me, especially on the piccolo?
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

The Dixon combo whistle with flute head is a pretty inexpensive way to try out the piccolo. It also leaves you with a nice whistle if you end up unable to play the picc. I just acquired a B flat combo. It's not the best B flat piccolo (all my others are blackwood, though, and MUCH more expensive). It is, however, a hell of a nice B flat whistle and a great bargain. So before you spend $100 for a Silkstone or Cooperman, or $200 for a Hamilton, or $300+ for a Healy (no wonder I'm always broke!), go ahead and give the Dixon a try.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
griff

Post by griff »

I am reluctant to answer, considering that I am a very new flute player. I bought a Tony Dixon 3-piece polymer flute from Thom at the Whistle Shop a couple of months ago. I have never played any other flute, so I can't compare it to anything, but I have enjoyed this flute very much. The workmanship seems very good and, although I am still working on improving my tone, I can play tunes I know from whistle playing and they sound pretty good to me. Do a search of this site. These flutes were discussed before and the comments made by others convinced me to order one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: griff on 2002-03-15 01:04 ]</font>
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

they sell dixon whistles with flute heads? I didn't know that. or do you have to buy a whistle with the head separately?
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Tony Dixon sells a body with both a whistle head and a flute head as a combo set. It's available in several different keys (down to the low whistles). Check the link:

http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/piedpiper.html
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!