Ornamentation-cough?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BrianW
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrianW »

Skip Healy posted some excellent information on ornamentation in "Skip's Tips" recently. He talks about a cough or push to emphasis the end of a phrase, if I remember and understood correctly. I'm looking for more explaination.

I pulled out Kevin Crawfords "d flute album" and in the first track I noticed a blast of air at the end of many phrases. Is this what Skip is calling a cough? Is this different from the Glottal Stops that David Migoya (Little help here David =} ) has explained on this site in the past?

How is the technique I'm hearing on the "d flute album" done? Is it just a simple blast of air or something more complex?

Thanks to all for the wonderful information contributed on this site.

Brian
Flying Piper

Post by Flying Piper »

<P>
Brian-

What Skip Healy is talking about is not the same as the "blast of air" you refer to. Do you have Matt Molloy's 1st solo album (Matt Molly accompanied by Donal Lunny)? If you do not, you should. If you do...
<P>
At the end of the first four bars of the tune (counting in cut time) and again at the same place on the repeat of that melody is what Skip is talking about. It may sound like tongueing. It is two consecutive second octave D's without a cut or a tip (no grace) between. That's the "cough or push" he's referring to. This tune goes by FAST, so it may take you a few attempts to hear it. Get the rekkid (if you don't have it)!
<P>
I would post my transcription of it to show what I'm talking about, but there are some Bible Thumpers over in Poststructural who seem to think I'm on the fringe of infringing.
<P>
Tom Gonta-Kilcoyne
Brewer / Piper / Patriot
Flying Piper

Post by Flying Piper »

Oops. The tune I was talking about in the post above is "The Tarbolton."
Tom Gonta-Kilcoyne
Brewer / Piper / Patriot
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Thanks for the information. I'll give the Matt Molloy track a listen to see if I can clear up my confusion.

Brian
paulilittle

Post by paulilittle »

Is this an effect achieved by glottle stopping?
I've heard it done with Harmonicas, Most notably by Little Walter Horton but never ever noticed it being done with a flute.
I've tried doing it on both but alas no mattter how hard I try I just cant seem to stop my glottle. It just keeps on going.....:>(