Flute stolen!! (Prague)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
spittle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Flute stolen!! (Prague)

Post by spittle »

Indeed, horror of all horrors, my daypack which contained my beloved John Gallagher Pratten flute was stolen in the Prague Central train station on our return trip home on Thursdsay evening :( :( :( (along with the camera with all pics from the vacation, MP3-player, and more, double-ugh!). So if anyone sees one on the market please let me know. It's blocked left-handed for four keys and is in blackwood with sterling silver rings. The flute's sentimental value far outwieghs the monetary (though I save long to purchase it as well), so hopefully it will somehow make it back.

Thanks all for keeping an eye out!

Cheers,
- Ryan

On a positive note, Prague is a city of breath-taking beauty, and I was able to play the flute (and reasonably well!) at my brother's wedding which was the reason for the trip in the first place
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I trust you had insurance cover ?

It would be interesing to know how many left handed players there are in the district.
Not so common, perhaps in ex- communist areas.
Until about 35 years ago Russians were simply not allowed to be lefties !

A note in the local newspaper might produce a result if you get them to make a little feature of it.

Good thing it was only a Pratten model ! ( If there is such a thing ).
spittle

Post by spittle »

Indeed, it does in fact appear to be covered under my homeowners policy, which is a huge relief.

I'm quite sure the sod who took the bag will be much more interested in the electronic goodies that the silly looking stick with the little knobs on it :x
In talking with a local Irish flute player in Prague, the 'scene' is not terribly active, (however for early music it's probably quite the opposite) which I'm not sure will help or hinder its recovery.

Also, you might be interested to know that modern tuning allowances aside John's 'Pratten' is an almost exact copy of Boosey's Pratten Perfected #5400 (I think) from 1856. I'm sure the more learned here will know if that date/model number sound correct. Anyway, it's probably about as close a modern Pratten as one gets new these days.

Cheers,
- Ryan
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Well it is most interesting to learn that Mr Pratten took any interest in 4 keyed flutes !
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I hate it when instruments get stolen if it happened to me I would be furious. :x
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Unseen122 wrote:I hate it when instruments get stolen if it happened to me I would be furious. :x
I agree. It's amazing how often this happens. There are whole forums on the internet devoted to stolen instruments.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

andrewK wrote:Well it is most interesting to learn that Mr Pratten took any interest in 4 keyed flutes !
I don't know much about flutes. What are you saying?
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I think andrew is trying to play a joke on the way that was written 4 keyed flute sounds like a flute in 4 keys or the fact that Pratten always had the C foot.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

No joke.
I don't know where your flute education should start, Mr Wisely.
You will find a little further up this thread ( I know you have said you don't read flute threads before you ban posters ! ) that the flute in question is supposed to be an accurate copy of a Pratten's Perfected.
These had a good number of keys. Nothing whatsoever like a four key flute of the type recorded as stolen.
That is why I think and am suggesting that neither Pratten nor his maker Hudson would recognise a flute of the type stolen as anything to do with them , were they alive to be asked.
I would recommend for your delight and basic flute education Rick Wilson's excellent website to save you having to ask elementary questions and avoid unneccessary embarassment, though Terry McGee's site would be better if you are really interested in learning anything .. about Prattens !
Last edited by andrewK on Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

andrewK wrote:No joke.
You will find a little further up this thread ( I know you have said you don't read flute threads before you ban posters ! ) that the flute in question is supposed to be an accurate copy of a Pratten's Perfected.
These had a good number of keys. Nothing whatsoever like a four key flute of the type recorded as stolen.
That is why I think and am suggesting that neither Pratten nor his maker Hudson would recognise a flute of the type stolen as anything to do with them , were they alive to be asked.
I would recommend for your delight and basic flute education Rick Wilson's excellent website to save you having to ask elementary questions and avoid unneccessary embarassment, though Terry McGee's site would be better if you are really interested in learning anything .. about Prattens !
I doubt that Dale’s identity is so wrapped up in flutes that he would suffer any embarrassment by asking the above question.

We all know that you know your flutes Andrew – no need for condescension to remind us of this.

John Gallagher’s Pratten is actually a copy of #4600 (Boosey). (Yes… I know it would have had 8 keys.)

:roll:
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Have you a photo, please ?
Is it a band flute ?
There is what appears to be a 5 key band flute on the new site mentioned above with the horrendously highly priced flutes. In the early days they seemed to stamp Pratten's Perfected on anything to help to sell them.
What date is a 4 key Pratten's Perfected supposed to be , and is the lost one as accurate a " copy" as the excellent " Rudall " is supposed to be ?

I don't claim to know much about flutes - just to have too many of the damned things.
Perhaps I should start thinking of 4 keyed flutes which were the bottom end of the market in their 19th century day as something of interest ?

If Mr Wisely had spent a little time reading Terry McGee's Site he could have saved even more time he has spent in disavowing any knowledge of flutes as he does.
I have to wonder about Mr Wisely's motivation in asking his question, of course.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Sorry if I sound a bit ratty, Blayne. No sleep for weeks & months on Chemotherapy ,so I am not taking fools as gladly as I might formerly have done !
spittle

Post by spittle »

Sorry for the lack of clarification Andrew, yes the key-block configuration (even lefty configuration?) are of my own, custom request - not the 8-key original from which measurements were taken. That flute, which John's design closely matches, however, is the #4600 which Blayne so eruditely pointed out.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

andrewK wrote:No joke.
You will find a little further up this thread ( I know you have said you don't read flute threads before you ban posters ! )
You really lack manners. With the exception of spammers, in the history of the board, I've banned 2 posters. One of them wasn't you. And you I allowed back in. And, in spite of that, you've been haughty and rude to me since. It's not my custom to do this kind of thing publicly, but I've had a belly full. I'm sorry about your illness and uncomfortable treatment, but I don't think it excuses this level of discourtesy.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

But what a memory!