5key Wooden b flat flute. Feeding the wood.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
selkie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by selkie »

I bought one off ebay. Don't groan pleeeese! This one was worth it although it was sold as a flute or piccolo. It's dirty and the end pad needs replacing. As it happens, it turns out to be a 5key wooden flute, uncracked and when I gave it to a lad in our fife group to try, sounded pretty good. I note some of you use Almond oil for wood but I am severely NUT allergic and also allergic to Linseed oiland most cooking oils except Corn or Olive. What oil should I use on the wood? It's a very dark wood. Leather pads and metal keys I believe or they may be very tarnished silver. All the keys can be removed as they are screwed.
totst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by totst »

Hi,
Terry McGee recommends clarinet type bore oil. Its somewhat odorless and dries quick. It's somewhat toxic to use on the outside but I find if I let it dry for about an hour the wood absorbs it without a trace. The bore needs it more than the outside anyway. Congrats on your acquisition.
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

I suggest you try unscented mineral oil. It is very inert, and should not contain anything allergenic. It seems to work very nicely for oiling flutes, and is also cheap. In the USA it is a standard pharmacy item.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio