What level are you all on?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
paulilittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by paulilittle »

One of the nice things about the woodenflute/celtic music scene (perhaps over the classical environment) is that whilst it's nice once you've achieved the "good" level, I don't think there's such a pressure to get to the "Better" and "Best" level The emphasis is much more on sharing some good tunes amongst friends, rather than Performing to an Audience.
It's not quite so competetive perhaps.

I considered getting a boehm flute when I started but then I realised that fluid (bendy) tones that draw me to Celtic flute sound are created by drawing the finger on or off of the tone holes, something that can't be done with valves or keys.

Madeline if you become interested in wooden flutes they are well worth a try. It's a wholly different experience to the Boehm. A different means of expression entirely.
Patrick Olwell produces simple bamboo flutes that folk here seem to rave about. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has recorded with them. I want one in F even though I have my own 5 Keyed Wood flute