The Silent Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JeffS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JeffS »

This question will make no sense to those of you who have no problem finding the time to practice.

I hope it WILL make some sense to those of you who have family and work obligations and who struggle to find time to practice.

Does anyone know of a flute (or anything with similar fingering) that makes no sound? Something that one could play on public transportation that will not offend the person in the next seat. Or perhaps, behind ones desk at work for 15 minutes which wouldn't offend the person in the next cubical? I have to steal practice during the day and, personally, I would love such an invention.

Today, I was just covering the holes of my flute while on my 30 minute commute on public transportation. This was pretty cool, but I'd like something with maybe headphones so I could hear the melody.

We'll call this the Bizzare Query of the Day.

Cheers,
Jeff
Madeleine

Post by Madeleine »

hey

I think you live in eternal hope there!! but good luck in finding :smile:

Madeleine
mark02

Post by mark02 »

You've discovered a trick that has been long used by horn players in general, and sax players specifically. Practicing the fingering without sound is a very good way to develop fluid note transition.

One additional suggestion: If you have the head joint on the flute while you are practicing the fingering, you may be able to hear a quiet "pop" sound when you finger cleanly. This works better on keyed flutes, but is possible on open hole instruments also. (You'll need to put the embrochure hole right up to, but not into, your ear).

You may not want to do this on public transportion unless you prefer to sit alone.

Best of luck,

Mark Sackett
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Something that was recently posted on the woodenflute list by one of the Big Names: put a dab of Blue Tack (this is the glueless mounting putty that is used to stick this on walls, fridges, etc) just beyond the far side of the embouchure hole.
Quiets the flute way way down.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
louja

Post by louja »

A guidance counselor at my school has a silent bagpipe which she listens to on headphones. She takes it on field trips so she can practice on the bus and not annoy anyone with the bagpipes. It is possible to play a silent instrument so don't give up.