Scottish Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

My wife is learning Scottish Fiddle and I was wondering if there is such a thing as Scottish flute. I have searched all over the web and have yet to find anyone that specializes in playing Scottish tunes on the Wooden Flute. Does anyone know any player that plays mostly Scottish Stuff. I know Boys of the Lough play scottish tunes but I'm wondering if there is any long running tradition like there is in Irish Flute playing.

I heard that there was a Scottish Flute mailing list has anyone heard of this?

Craig
rosenlof
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rosenlof »

Chris Norman plays a couple of traditional Scottish tunes on at least two of his CDs, "The Man With The Wooden Flute" and "The Flower of Port Williams".

I couldn't tell you how traditional his instrument is, but I saw him give a lecture/demonstration about a year ago. He played a Scottish tune or two and talked about how the style differend from Irish and other Celtic styles. More tongue and different ornamentation mostly, if I remember correctly.
croberts

Post by croberts »

George Ormiston lives in Scotland. Are the Irish flutes he makes really Scottish flutes in disguise?

Chris Roberts
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

don't forget that one of the most famous flutemakers of all time was Scotch (Edinburgh to be precise):
John Mitchell Rose
of Rudall&Rose fame
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

here's a link to a book called "Scottish Flute"

http://www.fifeanddrum.com/store/index. ... d=Scottish Flute Collection&cart_id=8497598.49798

(pick and paste the entire link onto your browser in case it doesn't click in from here)
"Bringing Yesterday's Flutes to Today's Players"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Migoya on 2002-02-23 00:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Migoya on 2002-02-23 00:43 ]</font>
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Thanks for the help.

I'm surprised that there really is no well known Scottish Flute players or no albums of mainly scottish tunes on flute. I wonder if most scottish tunes don't lend themselves well to the flute.

Craig
Mal

Post by Mal »

There is no essential difference between Scottish and Irish folk music, in fact, a lot of so-called "Irish" tunes are actually Scottish in origin, sometimes renamed and sometimes not.

Reels, hornpipes and jigs are equally popular tunes at Scottish and Irish ceilidhs, though the dance steps they accompany may differ somewhat. The Scots also dance to 6/8, 2/4 and 4/4 marches, schottishes and polkas and to a uniquely Scottish type of melody called a "strathspey". All are eminently suitable for flute.
In fact, most melodies that are played by Scottish pipers can be satisfactorilly played on the simple flute. (I say "most" because there are a few pipe tunes which
depend on ideosyncratic bagpipe "movements" (embellishments) for their effect, and these can only be properly sounded on a shawm-type double reed instrument like the pipe chanter.)

Call up the following website for the written scores and accompanying sound of a number of Scottish tunes, most of which can be easily played as written, or easily transposed for playing on an unkeyed flute.

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/scott ... dxv6as.htm

Mal