out of tune flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Whistlepeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlepeg »

Hi, can you help me?
I don't play flute, (I play whistle), but I have a very gifted 13year old whistle student who recently found and purchased an old Irish flute at a small local music shop. The flute had been repaired by the store owner (cracks and loose pads) There are no identifying markings on the flute. It is blackwood (possibly grenadilla/ebony) with silver or silver plated keys. The problem is tuning.
The tuning slide is all the way in and the lower octave can be played in tune if played loudly, but the second octave is almost a half tone flat no matter how much air is used. Except for the A which is very sharp!
Do we need to send this to be fixed? If so, where? He doesn't have a lot of money - spent all his savings ($400Cdn)on this instrument. It has a lovely tone -just needs the tuning fixed. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks
Sue
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

The cork probably needs to be moved. See the fourth paragraph here:

http://www.geocities.com/feadanach/tuning.html

Cheers,
<ul>-Rich</ul>
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

THanks Rich,
What if the cork is in as far as it will go?
Maybe it has shrunk over time and needs to be replaced?
Sue
FlutePlayAtwater

Post by FlutePlayAtwater »

First make sure the head cork doesn't leak, that it is a snug fit. Then measure the inside diameter of the head. Then using a wooden dowel rod, place a pencil line across the dowel at a distance the same as the inside diameter. Use the dowel to position the head cork so that the distance from the cork face to the center of the mouth hole is approximately equal to the inside diameter. The line on the dowel should line up approximately in the center of the mouth hole. Move the cork to get this line up. Then use a G or A note for tuning. Adjust the slide to get the truest note. When the flute is warm, and low G or A is correct then adjust the cork for the hig G or A. If high G/A is sharp, push cork back slightly from mouth hole. If flat, push slightly toward mouth hole. You have to retune with slide after any change.
FlutePlayAtwater

Post by FlutePlayAtwater »

Besure the cork is snug, but movable before using a dowel. On an old, stuck in place cork, you'll put a hole in the cork.
totst

Post by totst »

Maybe it has shrunk over time and needs to be replaced?
Sue
If it has shrunk , there will be a leak and the response will suffer, if not unplayable. If so it will move real easy, maybe even drop out by itself or shatter when you try to move it. You can always replace with a wine cork stopper, but you would need to sand this down much. An experienced woodwind repairman could do the replacement easily.
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Thanks all for the great advice.
I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for taking the time.
Sue