It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:54 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help in picking out a new whistle. I've played a standard keyed flute for years, and have decided that I want to try something a little different, but don't really have any idea where to start - there's just way too much information out there! I love Irish music, and from what I gather, I will likely want a D whistle, but I'm not sure if I should go with metal, wood, bamboo, plastic, metal with a plastic mouthpiece, etc. I suppose the most important thing other than quality/tone is price, since I have a budget of ~$50. Thanks in advance!

Holly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:11 pm 

Hey Holly, do try the whistle forum instead of the flute forum. The people that browse here are mostly a small fraction of the whistle forum so if you were to post a whistle related question, you will get more replies there.

If you ask me though, Generations are my favourite whistles, and they only cost 10% of your budget. Susatos are nice too, if you need a cheap-ish session cutter whistle. Then theres Tony Dixons, but I like the Susato better - matter of personal taste I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:11 am 

holly
add a few more dollars and you can get a Sindt which, in my opinion, is one of the finest whistles for the price.
A D whistle runs about $80 or so.
Otherwise, Michael Burke makes a grand whistle in composite materials at a great price.
I'm not a Susato fan, but that's me. Way to "shrieky" and, frankly, annoying at sessions unless the player has exquisite control and plays wonderfully.