Musicians Union?? Join or Not??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Karen - Ohio

Post by Karen - Ohio »

I am doing gigs with a harper and recently was asked about joining the Musicians Union. I can't see why I need to do this - any takes on the subject? Pros and cons.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Karen - Ohio on 2002-01-29 10:12 ]</font>
totst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by totst »

Difficult question. I head the musicians union over here and I can say it helps to have an organization backing you up (problems with rates, musicians rights, copyright, mechanicals,legal assistance etc.). I would say that if you want to play professionally and have some "weight" dealing with producers, club owners etc. , the union would help. But then I could be wrong, things in the US could be different.

Tots
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

In certain geographical areas, the Union has many venues to being hired "sewn up". Check locally and see exactly how much clout your local union wields... can they get you GIGs? Another thing to consider, are you doing so many gigs that you need to use a union to force the wages you want, and are your services in demand enough to risk doing so? If you're gonna record or play with an orchestra on a regular basis, I'd consider it.